1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Visible Marks on Heat Sink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CanadaPhil, 30 Oct 2008.

1. CanadaPhil

CanadaPhil New Member

I recently recieved the new components for my computer in the mail.
    The CPU cooler is a Nirvana NV120. Richard mentions in this article that the base contains some visible machining scratches. Although I can't see them in the photo i can see them on my heat sink. How do I know if the scratches are too big? Because of how I purchased the parts, returning them isn't really an option, but I'd like to know if I'm going to have a problem.
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Phil

2. yanglu

yanglu Hmm...

I don't think they'll be a big issue. Are they actually physical dents or just scratches? As long as you use some decent thermal paste it should be ok. Did the cooler come included with paste? If not, I'd recommend OCZ Freeze or Noctua NT-H1.

3. klutch4891

klutch4891 New Member

I just got a new NV120 as well from newegg and mine has circular machining marks in it (looks like from when it was lapped); if that is what you're talking about then it will be fine.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hey Phil,

How deep are the scratches? Are they regular or irregular (machine marks or physical damage/gouges?). If the former - just whack on some good thermal paste and have fun, but if the latter go buy some 1600-3200 grit sandpaper, add a little water and wrap the paper around a hard, flat and smooth surface like a bit of wood or metal. Then just gently ease out the damage in either circles or straight strokes :)

I've heard companies claim that they leave circular machine marks so the thermal paste has something to "bite" between the CPU and heatsink as the heatsink is compressed and gentle rocked to squish out the paste evenly like peanut butter between two slices of bread. Of course, that could be BS.

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I reckon flatness is more important than smoothness, to a degree obviously. Could be smooth as a baby's bum but if it's got a curve on it, it's not going to work well.