1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista boot repair seems to have created a user drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matticus, 5 Apr 2009.

1. Matticus

Matticus ...

Ok long story short, I was installing openSuse and a fuse blew and took out my upstairs lecky, which took out my PC with it (luckily only turned it off).

So it seems that it had got to the point of installing grub and well for want of a better phrase, it raped by boot manager/sector everything.

So it would get to grub then give and error but instead of stopping on the error it would just mash straight past and try and boot vista, but then it said it couldn't boot vista because of a boot/bcd error.

So I boot into parted magic and deleted all of the suse partitions. As I figured they were borked and then popped in my vista disk to repair the boot.

It took quite a while to repair the boot and when it had done it booted up went straight into disk checker and started scanning disk F, now I didn't have a disk F. It started to recover orphaned files and then booted into windows.

Lovely stuff I thought. Well then it said installed new device please reboot. I went to my computer to check out this new device thinking it had something to do with F.

It did, it has created a copy of my Matt folder and made a partition from free space left over form suse and called it matt.

Why the heck has it done this?

I thought at first that it had mounted a partition as my matt folder in a wierd way, but F:/matt and c:/users/matt are not linked, creating a folder in one does not make it show up in the other.

Can anyone shed light on the matter

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Sounds like you have installed Vista again as a second OS, basically you are dual booting Vista and Vista.

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

I thought that just now. But on closer inspection, there is just one version of vista.

The partitions all point to there being just one vista partition, with a bit of free space and then my F drive with only my user folder in it. Then my data drive which remains untouched.

I installed easyBCD, and that shows only one vista.

It just seems that vista has made a backup of my user folder by creating a partition in the freespace. Maybe a nice feature, but didn't seem to tell me what it was doing.