1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista BSOD caused by fwpkclnt.sys

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Shielder, 4 Feb 2008.

1. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Hi all,

I've just got the wife a laptop and I tried to install ZoneAlarm. This failed with a BSOD, so I took the plunge (after uninstalling ZoneAlarm) and bought AVG Internet Security. Now we are getting BSODs with the same file referenced all the time; fwpkclnt.sys. Googling on this fault indicates that it could be a Windows Firewall conflict with ZoneAlarm (nothing about AVG Internet Security though). Now, I've disabled Windows Firewall in Safe mode and searched for anything and everything that could possibly be left from the ZA installation (I used a list generated by ZA staff on the ZA forums). I've also removed everything from the registry that could possibly be related to ZA.

I'm still getting the BSOD.

What can I do to fix this apart from nuking the Vista install and performing a system restore using the restore disks (which I have yet to burn)? We are getting the BSODs either at startup (in which case a reboot to Safe Mode and then a reboot to normal startup seems to fix) or after a couple of hours.

Any ideas?

Andy

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

go in Windows,and run as admin: sfc /scannow.
    This is will repair windows system files, file permissions set on them (that you, or the REAL Admin, cannot change).
    This process can take several minutes, and you can still use your windows, play music, surf the web...

3. Shielder

So, from what I understand I don't need the Vista disks, is that right? Because it is a preinstalled version of Vista, I haven't got any disks (not dared to try and burn them yet in case a BSOD completely hoses the system).

Andy

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

When I tried it... I did not need it.

5. Shielder

Excellent! I'll try that tonight then. Thanks Goodbytes!

Andy

6. Shielder

Oh well. It was a good idea, but I haven't got any Vista disks to get the kosher version of fwpkclnt.sys from. I eventually elected to perform a system restore. At the moment, all seems well. I restored back to before the ZA install. It's just performing Windows Updates at the moment.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Andy

Tags: