1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista Install Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by The boy 4rm oz, 13 Jun 2009.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Ok, so I have recently rebuilt my PC and decided to format the HDD to remove all the crap from it and re-install Vista to get ready for a little OC fun.

I boot off the Vista disk and allow it to load up, I insert the CD Key, select the partition and everything runs fine. The first reboot comes around and Vista gets to the stage of "preparing to run Vista for the first time". It loads up the Vista install screen and tells me that it is finalizing the installation, it sits like this for about 2 hours before the background disappears and I am just left with the cursor. After about another hour of this I get a BSOD and the message tells me to restart to prevent damage to my hardware. I restart the system and when it loads up Vista tells me that it was un able to install Vista due to an unexpected system restart and to restart the system and try again. This has happened to me 5 times now.

Any ideas why this is happening? I am currently doing a full format (not a quick format) on the HDD I want to install Vista on, I previously only had done a quick format. I hope this fixes the problem.

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Bad disc?

3. The boy 4rm oz

@ capnPedro - I don't think it's a bad disk cos I only ever used it once, for the initial install and the disk has no visual signs of damage, not a scratch on it.

@ TarangSwaroop - You want system specs? Q6600, 8800GTX, DFI 680i LT mobo, 4GB OCZ Reaper RAM.

4. The boy 4rm oz

It's ok, must have been a formatting issue, installed perfectly this time. Thanks for your input though.

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Could be a dying HDD then. Make sure you got backups if it happens to fail.

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

It's spam; I have a post about it in the feedback forum.

Bloody computers, right!

Yeah, make sure SMART is enabled too.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The HDD that I installed Vista on is 320GB WD drive, the only thing on it will be the OS so if it dies it dies, I have my Spinpoint F1 1TB for everything else plus a complete backup on an external drive. But your right, the drive might be on its way out, it is close to 3 years old after all. If it dies I will replace it with a Raptor or an SSD. The drive was working perfectly fine yesterday though before the quick format, I still think it was just a case of a poorly formatted drive.