1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista is not helping PC sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

I have Vista but only as a second OS due to my favourite online FPS (Planetside) not working correctly. It's a DX8 game and the developers (SOE) have said they have no intention of getting it running right under Vista :(
    The sad thing is that while it runs it drops from over 140FPS to 40 fps and lower in large fights :(

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Still doesn't stop it being a nice sparkly cool new OS though lol

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Why would it push PC sales? Most people can't afford to buy an entire new system just because of an OS.

Especially when people say it's bad for using up your systems RAM. I've actually heard three stores say to people this.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

My only gripe is the indexing service which seems to constantly want to do stuff.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But a lot of people go, hey Vista is out, and it's about time I replaced that pile of crap. Many people don't bother upgrading, or even caring for their PCs. Most people don't upgrade their PCs, mainly because it's not very easy to do it with the pre-built systems now, and they also lack the knowledge.

The majority of people will be not be buying a PC just for vista, but be buying a new PC because it's about time they replaced their old one, and see the release of Vista a perfect opportunity to do so.

I also don't believe that there was a slowdown of sales, pretty much every manufacturer offered a free upgrade to vista in the months before it was released.

As for me, I'm very tempted to buy Vista so I can grab a copy of H2 vista and the PC version of shadowrun, I was going to wait for the first service pack for the rumored WinFS, but I don't think I can wait that long.

Which comes to the question, which version should I get? Thinking of getting ultimate OEM, but I'm really thinking it's a complete waste of money and I should go for the home premium that comes in at half the price. What about which version of that to get? I heard not very many programs support the 64 bit version of Vista, that improved now?

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

This brings me to a point, it maybe because I've just installed vista but it is always asking me if I want to allow permission to use applications, I can't remember if it is for the same application more than once at the moment, but is there anyway to turn it off, and more importantly, after you allow it once, does it remember?

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There is a way using the UAC control in control centre, can't remember what exactly.

I'm not really gaming much anymore, I like Vista because I can run apps faster.

But I'm going to have a week off in June and will reset my box to become a pure Unix box.

9. Orca

Orca New Member

I have Vista on my MacBook since I got it free from my university, but I am still using XP on my main machine.

I will jump to Vista when Crysis gets here. Until then, no thanks.

10. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Member

I will not buy vista :thumb:

I will get directx 10! Whenever someone ports it over to xp :wallbash:

Worst case I will buy the next os that Microsoft comes out with, which similar to xp will be coming right after a famed windows hell edition.

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

SO you are going to wait untill hell freezes over?

So, since that Vista is nowhere near ME edition, will be taking 5-7 years?

12. FR34K

FR34K New Member

heck, I just wish Mac would come out with an OS for all PCs instead of just their own. Microsoft's just getting out of hand...they're trying to take over the world I tell ya.

I still stand by my opinion that Microsoft should drop making computer OSs and stick to media software/media players, and consoles.

13. Nikumba

Nikumba Member

Then what the world run on? If you removed Windows right now there is no alternative on the market that is as flexible and able to work with just about any computer hardware, and the average joe bloggs can use.

Linux still is not a desktop OS despite Dells offering Ubuntu the problem is you have to faff to install anything, its not a questing of click and finish and its done. If you cock up your display settings the odds are unless you know what your doing you have shafted your setup.

Of course your also forgetting the world runs on MS Exchange there deffo aint anything like that to replace it.

I run Vista Ultimate and i think its great, turn off the indexing service, turn off UAC and its a fab OS. I find XP a step backwards now for me.

Kimbie

14. FR34K

FR34K New Member

it's like this because Microsoft pays companies for to be like this...
    they want people to be dependent of their OS cause it makes them more money.

Mac is just as compatible, but they're only using software that works with their hardware right now. They even use Intel processors, so it shouldn't be long before they can support all hardware setups. At least one would hope.

I'm not saying take windows off the market right now...it'd be like getting rid of all the cigarette companies at once.

Linux is a whole other story...

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

That's completely wrong, Macs have FAR FAR less hardware support than Windows, and more importantly businesses worn't run it (for a number of reasons, one could be that their rather esoteric hardware wouldn't work) and Apple would get poorer, they're a hardware business. Hardly anyone makes money from software (Microsoft does because it sells a lot of it).

People only buy Macs for OS X, once that's out in the open no-one would buy them. One of the most important things about OS X is it's integration and the 'It just works' stuff, which would disappear.

16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I really like Vista, but the fact that I've been working on tweaking it, applying hacks, finding (usually beta) drivers and adapting to find things that work since late March means that - at the moment - I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone,

Hopefully things will get better by SP1. And this is for the 32-bit version, I've heard dreadful things about the 64-bit edition!

17. bubsterboo

bubsterboo New Member

I upgraded to vista, at first i didn't like the change much. But now that i have given myself time to get used to it i rather like vista.

Im using the 64bit versions without any problems EXEPT i can't manage to get a driver for my chipset or whatever needs to be done so i can safely eject my eSata external... (on my sig system)

18. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I wish people would stop dragging this out against Vista. I don't run Vista and am in no hurry to get it, but I'm in favor of giving credit where it's due. Yeah, Vista sits idle with almost all your RAM filled up, but that's what the RAM is there for. The OS isn't using all that RAM to show your desktop, it's caching things so it performs well. I don't have a gig of ram so I can feel special that I've got 750 MB free, I've got a gig of RAM so my computer can take advantage of it. Vista is the first Microsoft OS to do this properly and they keep getting kicked for it when in fact they should be applauded.

19. culley

culley New Member

But did you know that Vista has DRM built into the kernal, basically if it believes you are trying to pirate movies it will start to break. All new hardware has to be cetificated because you could hack your graphics card and make Vista think your playing protected content. But the big question is why the hell do we have all this in Vista? It's all because Microsoft wants to move into the home entertainment area and this is the only way hollywood would allow it.

[​IMG]

"Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to provide content protection for so-called “premium content”, typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will ever come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista (for example hardware in a Macintosh computer or on a Linux server). This document analyses the cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the collateral damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry."

Read Peter Guttman long whitepaper at his site its very intresting

20. completemadness

completemadness New Member

which is stupid anyway, MS could just show a particular finger to the film industries and they couldn't do a lot about it

And then they would have to accept it, and even then DRM still isn't stopping people rip films, because you can just decode it and remove the encryption for now, which is a lot easier then trying to hack it out of the hardware

Tags: Add Tags