1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista is not helping PC sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 May 2007.

1. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I'm dual booting XP and Ultimate 64 and I have to say I haven't used Vista all that much lately. Yes It's really nice looking, I love the media center, I love aero, and I love the idea of DX10. The fact is that XP run a whole lot smoother on 1 gig of ram, drivers work and work well, I can do anything on xp that I can do on vista and more, and aero isn't worth 75% ram usage. But I do like Vista. It's just not ready for gaming and I'm going to need dual core/2 gigs of ram

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Aero uses the GFX cards RAM, please get your facts straight... and if you want free RAM, then you allways will be limited to XP.

It has often been said before, but why the hell do people want all that free RAM? You payed for it, you might as well use it... But I have an idea for those stubborn guys who think they need free RAM, get 3 sticks of 1GB, plug 2 in and leave 1 on your table, then you have 1GB free all the time, and then you surely are cool.

Linux does it for years, actually using up the ram with buffers and caching to improve system performance. But if you rather wait every time when you open something to get all the bits from the HD into the RAM, be my guest. And the argument that you want the RAM filled with stuff you want to be in it is lame... I think the OS knows better what has to be in the RAM, what benefits from being in, and what has the proirity to move into the RAM, don't you? Because if you know it better then the kernel, you should be writing (or rewriting) kernel memory allocations...

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Saved me from writing it

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've had XP Pro x64 for almost 2 years now, And I've only just got it working exactly the way I want it (drivers ect.).

If someone offered me copy of Vista Ultimate X64, I'd take It, but wouldn't install it.

5. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Companies don't use macs because Office:mac is terrible and there's a much larger choice of PCs to choose a specific setup for your needs, thereby not wasting money.

Besides, I don't think most cooportations need their computers to "look pretty" or "make cool videos" at the expense of functionality and the extra money they cost.

I think my old school summarises this quite well... despite most of the IT dept. being mac fanboys they still gradually transitioned over to PCs. The mac servers were terrible and Dells were allround easier and more reliable, both as the servers and client computers. I know this doesn't matter so much - but when I walked into the IT room after the switch over, I was shocked at how quite it was in there. The one 120mm fan on the Dells was so much quiter than the little whiney fans and the loud clicky hard drives in the macs. And finally - there were 2 IT rooms right opposite each other. When they changed one to PCs, everyone went in there, the IT room with macs in it was almost allways empty.

EDIT:

well said glider.

6. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

well said :)

also, in vista, does it take into account the ram used by its temporary stuff - IE superfetch ?

And yes, sadly Linux has been way ahead of windows for years now
    Hell I'm sitting here with 2gb ram, 47% used - so that's 53% sitting there doing nothing useful at all, what a great use of ram ...

7. MrEco

MrEco What's a Dremel?

Yup i upgraded to vista for two reasons,
    1. my old PC (Athlon 3000+, 9800 Radeon pro) was starting to feel slow for games.
    2. DX10 and crysis and Bioshock and all the others

So i bought all the bits and made up a box, plugged em in
    Intel core 2 duo E6600
    2Gb Patriot DDR2 667Mhz RAM
    Antec Nine Hundred Gaming case
    Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 Motherboard
    Zalman Big copper CPU fan thing
    Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card
    600W modular PSU
    Sata 250Gb Samsung HD
    DVD RW+- with Lightscribe
    and Vista Home Premium
    Approx cost £690 inc vat and del

Id say Vista is well worth the trouble of a few incompatible drivers and older software. But make sure what you need to work... will work.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2007
  8. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I can't see why people would think it would change PC sales. I'm not going to go out and buy Vista just because it's the latest OS from Microsoft. I'll install it when XP is no longer a suitable operating system to use (when they stop supporting it or when Vista has support for all the programs I use).

People will just keep buying PCs as they would normally!

9. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I don't know a single person who bought a computer with Vista as an "operating system upgrade". My girlfriend's brother got a Vista system for Christmas but I believe that was only because he didn't have a computer and Vista is all you can get from some places. I do know two people (3 including me) who bought a new PC over the last few months and purposefully got it with / downgraded to XP just because they dont see the need for such a swish user interface when XP works fine, lose out on DX10 but DX9 is still well supported.

Businesses will do what they always have. "If it isn't broke don't fix it". I read somewhere that about 50% of computers in companies were still on 2k even though XP had been out ages (this was a while back), the only reason XP was making its way into companies was they were buying new systems in line with their usual policy of removing obsolete tech.

Consumers will work mostly along the same lines, some will go for upgrades because its there, for the vast majority, priorities are elsewhere, XP plays videos, runs IM clients and writes documents, why change that.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think this thread is past it's expiration date.

That said, it's interesting to see that most of us haven't changed our minds much on vista.

11. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Haha oops, I got linked to here from elsewhere, didnt bother to check its age.

My bad :duh:

Tags: Add Tags