1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista license limits OS transfers

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Matkubicki, 13 Oct 2006.

1. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

Seems we'll only be able to install Vista on our first and second PC's then we'll have to buy a new copy. Change a motherboard more than once, that'll be another £200 for MS:

see here for the full gory details.

:wallbash:

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Thats always been the rules.

An OS license matches a computer, which is basically the motherboard.

Sorry mate, you're not pointing out anything new.

3. Matkubicki

No with XP retail you were allowed to upgrade your PC and get it reactivated as many times as you wanted, as the article clearly states. After the first 3 times you had to ring Microsoft and tell them you weren't using it on more than one PC.

Now the license clearly states that after installing Vista retail on your first PC, if you then upgrade that PC and install Vista again (after removing from the old one of course) then this is your last PC with that copy of Vista.

IE one upgrade and you've had it

:edit:
    A quote from the article to explain this better than me:

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Won't work, so won't make the final version. It is like practically arm-twisting law-abiding computer user into turning to illegal warez. And you don't want to alienate your honest customer base into acquiring a taste for that.

5. Matkubicki

Thats how i felt about it as well but this appears to be in the official MS documentation, i suppose they could well change it (i hadnt thought of that!)

If it does stay this would be the thing that'd stop me getting Vista, but a lot of Dell buyers etc wouldn't give a toss probably as they buy a new copy of Windows with every PC anyway.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

So having had my two bites at the cherry, with the third system upgrade I can transfer my Vista copy to my wife or some other 3rd party?

We could arrange swapping parties (for Vista, I mean).

Seems like another bright idea being floated that the wrath of the internet will sink.

7. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

take the vista out of that and you've got my idea of a good time!

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well, in theory. 99% of people just go off and buy a new Dell. This really only matters to the geeks, and I'd be surprised if less than 75% of Bit is using some sort of warez or other questionable software. I'll state outright that I use a cracked copy of XP, not because I won't pay (I have a legal license) but because I don't want to deal with this crap every time I'm forced to reformat. Most if not all of the software I use regularly is completely leagl (mostly because I always opt for a FOSS version if it's comparable), and by and large it's only Microsoft's stuff that I need to deal with this.

Meh, one more reason I'm using a Mac. Thanks to Crossover, I don't even need an XP install to run those obscure pieces of Windows-only software (games). Almost everything Just Works, not to mention does what I need, so I'm happy to shell out a reasonable price.

9. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I have a legal copy of XP Professional.

I don't have, don't want and never will get a legal or illegal copy of this piece of **** OS [Vista] that MS is peddling.

10. xion

xion Minimodder

This is just robbing the consumer; the thing that really get's my goat is the periodic checks to see if you're still being good... change one too may components even without reinstalling and it looks like a new PC to microsoft, Que validation check, warning, then ban from your pc, it's not all bad though, the helpful microsoft folks give you an hour to price up a new copy of vista! :sigh:

:eeek:

No plans to sell my soul to satan yet, i'll stick with XP & Ububtu for a while, :wallbash:

I Find it hard to believe Bit-Tech purchases a new copy of XP for every 2 mobo's they review! :D

Last edited: 14 Oct 2006
  11. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

This is stupid, and definatly not consumer friendly...as much as I've never paid for a copy of windows, all the versions of XP i have are legal, and as far as i'm concerned, once you own the product, it's yours, and you should be able to do what you will with it, and not have your testicles on a rope from microsoft, making you sing to the tune.

Unfortunatly, if I remember correctly, the EULA for windows, states that you do NOT own the software, and the evil empire (Microsoft) can retreive it at any time they like.:wallbash:

12. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

its the monopoly at work, its not like you ave a real choice. if you want to play games and easily run lots of applications you have to buy windows. if a game worked so you had to pay again if you changed any of your hardware you just wouldnt buy it, what exactly can you do about an os. linux may be better but its still not a rival for most of the public. and mac os means a whole new pc anyway

13. fatty

fatty Minimodder

We need a vista geek edition I dont know how many times a year I rebuild my pc but on average 10 - 20 times I would guess loosing data when I overclock too high and the corruption is that bad that awindows repair just wont cut the mustard......
    I have a legal copy of pro which helps

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

are they trying to shot them selfs in the foot?

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

QFT :thumb:

That's basically where I am. I have a legal copy and I really hope that it will be the LAST piece of software I ever buy from M$. Viva the FOSS revolution!

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm sure they don't... you've got thirty days before you need to activate, which leaves plenty of time for testing. As far as I'm concerned, activating says "I'm actually going to use this computer" which really isn't the case for testbeds and whatnot, as you're always swapping hardware in and out.

Meh, I know OS X isn't OSS, but it's a huge improvement over any MS software I've used. For what I do, Linux really isn't a suitable option, but I try to work with Free software whenever it's an option. Not for my OS unfortunately, but at least the other stuff.

I just wish Dell would start giving an option for Ubuntu or something. People would be thrilled to have a $199 machine because they didn't have to cough up for XP (or Vista, when doomsday comes), and for most people it'll be perfectly suitable, not to mention quite a bit safer.

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

This article is rubbish, the EULA has simply been reworded, nothing has changed in the liscensing rules.

And I love the amount of people that say they're going to switch to Linux or OS X or something.
    I (and I'm sure lots of others) have used each of these for a while now, and to be honest, Linux is a piece of **** to be running everyday.

How many of you have actually used Vista as a main OS for any period of time?

18. justblair

justblair General tinkerer

I remember this exact same debate when XP came out. And did the consumer have an issue... No.

I have never had to phone to reactivate my copy of XP despite several hardware upgrades.

The trick with XP is to understand how the upgrades work...

its on a points system. Each component has a number of points allocated to it. You have a maximimum that you may use up within a period of time (My memory is bad here, but 45 days rings a bell)

So say your max is 120 points...

Mobo=60
    Processor=60
    Harddrive=30

Then you could swap both mobo and processor without going to verification, however if you swapped all three, you have burst the allocation and must call up to get the system reset.

The figures I have given are only made up ones, but they show how the system works. This allows you to upgrade your system over a period of time without any problems with the licencing. I am going to assume that MS will carry over this system into Vista until such a time as I learn differently.

19. Matkubicki

And a PDF on teh Microsoft website called "MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS" explaining how two motherboards is your lot for a copy of Vista doesn't count as learning differently!

Obviously this could all change before January as has with so many other things realted to Vista. With XP if you changed hardware so much that it wouldn't let you activate you'd ring MS promise not to use the software on two PC's and you were away. With this it seems to say the person on the phone will now say, "yep thats how it works, its locked to your 2nd motherboard now, bye!"

20. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I don't see the word 'motherboard' in the MS doc I quoted above (Windows Vista_Home Premium_English_66716c9b-88ec-4a8b-bf56-31a72651b7a3.pdf), it does in fact say "You may connect new hardware to your device".

It would appear they have the idea of continuing the hardware check system; if they ease off a bit so, say, providing the system still contains 3 of the major components it had 6 months ago it's the same (it's currently 7 votes to pass, but some items have more than one vote), it wouldn't be a problem to upgraders. And in general, anybody buying a full new system gets a bundled copy, want it or not.

Anyway, all is speculation, and like politicians, MS float ideas to see the public reaction. We need some clarification, Redmond.