1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista may not be delayed again after all

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 16 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

I never doubted that it would get delayed again anyway. Nice to hear when the next Longhorn Server beta will be released though.

3. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

W00t RC1 by September 4th sounds good. Judging by my experience with beta 2 then RC1 should be very usable.

4. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Umm...

As far as I remember:

A few months ago, Vista was delayed until January.

After that, rumors started swirling that Vista wouldn't hit the January deadline.

Then somebody at Microsoft came out saying something like "Vista will be ready for January...but we may not release it for another month or so if other hardware and software vendors/partners/companies aren't ready for Vista at that time"

I'm a bit unclear on how this article relates to that -- Microsoft has "always" said that THEY'D be ready by January, but that they might delay if necessary for the rest of the Microsoft-supporting world. Are the "corporate clients" mentioned in the article the hardware and software vendors/partners/companies that microsoft might end up waiting for? Is the article operating on the assumption that if these companies get a final version of Vista by October, they'll surely be ready for it's public release by January? Or is something else going on here?

5. c0d3_z3r0

c0d3_z3r0 What's a Dremel?

I cant wait to install the final Vista on my pc, I just hope that all the features they promised will be there.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i just hope it works :D

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

does it matter when its released. When most people wont even bother buying it until a year after at least to give them time to fix all the bugs on release. Also people need time to save up for new pc's to runt he dam thing.

Be 2 years before ill upgrade again. So hopefully there will be a vista then and a stable one.

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sounds good.

Pity I'm not going to actually use it..

9. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Even tough it might be delayed or not I will still get it as soon as it comes out, though I know there are bugs and gripes here and there but it will be worth it IMO and install it on another partition or HDD but it will run on my current rig and it will be a long time before I build another top of the line PC so I'm going to enjoy it when it comes out and it will run smoothly, thats all im concerned about.

10. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Vista can't come fast enough, for no other reason than DX10. The faster that stuff comes out, the faster the hardware will follow, and I can finally upgrade my dated system ;)

Definitely have to dual boot with XP though, as Vista will be "games only" until the quirks are ironed out.

Aggies

11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Don't get your panties all bunched up yet. God knows how long it'd take for developers to start adopting DX10. They may do it quickly, but I doubt we'd see much excitement, as DX9 still isn't used to it's max potential yet. I'm guessing early DX10 games will look no different from current DX9 games.

12. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

I'm quite excited to see what Vista has to offer. I have beta2 on its way via mail right now..

Its no biggie if its delayed though. In the grand scheme of thigns... a further delay isnt much considering we've been waiting this long already.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

a question to all you guys using the beta of vista: what is the feel of vista? does it run good? what are the main features/diferences vs XP?

14. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

15. Ringold

Ringold What's a Dremel?

To mikeuk2004: I think enthusiasts (ie, many reading bit-tech) will probably be running Vista or have it sitting next to their comp ready to install by the end of Q1 07.. if I can get my hands on an OEM copy or something, I'll jump asap. I installed Beta 2 on my Turion 64 ML34 (1.8ghz) 512mb (64mb shared to integrated crap video) and it ran spectacularly. Your A64 3700 system in your sig would work great with Vista.. I didnt do anything fancy with the laptop, but DID run multiple Office 12 Beta apps simultaneously.. that, plus Vista itself, with 448mb RAM? Along with the obligatory Firefox running, and anti-virus, no less. I think that speaks plenty about how it'll run. And battery life? Those that see reduced battery life, at least in some cases, don't know how to optimize.. I, strangely enough, saw about a 5-10% BOOST in battery life, depending on how happy it seemed. (Occasionally something caused CPU to spike to 100%.. voraciously eating my battery)

Edit: I glanced at your laptops, and you could run it on them too, especially the one with the 9700 without a problem! I'd definitely try dual-boot first though.. laptops and drivers aren't always that easy to deal with even in XP, much less a new OS.

Edit 2: Removed my own book-in-the-form-of-a-post to DXR, defering to the wise one who posted before me :)

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I'm with you on that (except the spelling :D ). Throughout my recollection of the history of Windows, MS has consistently upgraded the product then required the upgrade to run the newer hardware or software :duh: : WinXP/SP2, Win98/SE, Win95/OSR2, Win3/3.11. At least SP2 was a free upgrade but the others all required you to purchase the upgrade - Maybe MS is getting better but I think I'll wait for whatever the second edition of Vista is called.

Tags: Add Tags