1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista Service Pack 2 released to manufacturers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A single installer for BOTH Vista and Server 2008? Does that mean I have to download everything instead of an incremental update?
    Me no likey.

Other than that... meh. I got pissed off recently when Vista tried to tell me IE 8.0 was a required update. Yeah, right...
    And I'm quite happy with Vista SP1 for now. No need for exFAT, WS 4.0 or WCN. Maybe at the end of the year, but then again, I might build something new around i5 then and if so it'll definitely based on 7.

3. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

I strongly suspect not, Microsoft has always made service packs that include previous service packs. If you have SP1 + many updates already installed, Windows Update will simply dl and install what it needs to get you to a full Vista/Server 2008 SP2 install. I don't think it even means the network install package will be stupidly big, since Vista and Server 2008 are (I believe) essentially identical.

It's not like it was with XP/Server 2003 which were actually different Windows versions (XP was NT 5.1, Server 2003 5.2 and so on) thus requiring a different update schedule and so on.

4. perplekks45

Hm... you might be right. Still I won't give it a try anytime soon. :)

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I think FireFox is the required update as far as browsers go.

6. perplekks45

Agreed.

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

They released Windows 7 already? Wow, that was quick! :p

No, but seriously, I'm more excited for Win7 RC getting released tomorrow (yes, I know you can get it from dubious places, but I prefer a legal version. :)).

8. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i thought it was may 5 that it was released?

9. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

i would like to see some of the features/improvements found in 7 pushed into Vista with SP2 (or maybe SP3, or a "Feature Pack"). certainly DX11 anyway, though i suspect it is still too early, the spec not being finalised yet and all.
    Certainly like that Blu-ray write support has been added, especially as I've recently dropped in a BR Burner... nice smooth, glossy bezel, the dvd+-rw i bought with it looks boring in comparison. Wi-Fi i don't care much for anymore as i just use cables again now, and exFAT will mostly be suited to the server/vpn part of the market. Windows Search is something I use occasionally, works wonderfully on properly indexed drives, so if there's improvements to be made then have at it

oh, also more content for the Ultimate users, DreamScene wallpapers aimed more at gamers for one would be great, or tools for creating them (say, adding slight animations to still images etc)... that said, i've managed some nice ones by converting the .bik's used for loading screens in GoW and Mass Effect into mpgs

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

seems all the changes are minor and useless for normal end user.

think i'll hold on to SP1 and wait until Win7 is released. got all latest updates anyway.

11. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I think they will release a SP for Vista and an SP for 2008 but 32bit and 64bit will be included in the same Sp, so going from 4 to 2 files

KImbie

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

think you need SP1 installed still (unless thay changed that) to install SP2

13. quack

quack Minimodder

No, the 2 versions will be x86 and x64. Vista and 2008 do not need separate service pack installers, only the 32/64 bit flavours.

Most people won't need the full 350MB-ish network administrator installer, they can get the required bits from Windows Update which will be much smaller (around 43-90MB).

Correct, you need SP1 on Vista to install SP2. Server 2008 includes SP1.

perplekks45 likes this.
  14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

For the general public it is. If you have access to MS TechNet or MSDN subscriber downloads Win7 RC1 should go up 30 April (that is, at some point today).

Tags: Add Tags