1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista still okay for gaming or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Software' started by KMS-oul, 18 Feb 2013.

1. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Yes I have already googled but I always value bit-tech members advice and experience. I have decided to make a new gaming pc on as much as a budget as possible. Splashed out on a ivy bridge i5 and my wallet is screaming at me. I have a copy of vista 64 bit and if I can get away with it for gaming with no difference then that would be welcomed.

I found one site that compared an early copy of vista with win7 and found a negligible difference however that was an early copy of win7. Actually its quite hard to find a gamers perspective on this, my new machine will be focusing on mainly games.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Vista 64bit is fine its the same code that is running under windows 7 for the most part.

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I agree with rollo.

You don't have an OEM version of Windows, do you? Moving it to a different computer won't work (even if you do get an activation code, it's illegal to run it on a different machine)

4. Xir

Xir Modder

You'd build a new machine with plenty of memory anyway so Vista should run just fine.

reinstalling an OEM version, depends on the country you're in really.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

vista is fine, its not as refined as windows 7 or the non modern ui end of windows 8. But in terms of games you're not going to see any difference. It's doing the more humdrum day to day stuff that makes an upgrade worth while in my opinion.

6. Addie

Addie What's a Dremel?

I cringe every time I have to help someone with a Vista computer, just check that you can get drivers from the manufacturers site for Vista, this should hopefully be the only issue you have. But as mentioned before you'll probably not notice a difference in FPS gaming. Shame you just missed out on the Windows 8 upgrade though.

7. KMS-oul

Thanks a lot for the replies. Been a great help.

8. KMS-oul

Hey you lot, thought I'd just give anyone who comes across this thread a heads up. The ivy bridge platform supports every OS from XP upwards, except VISTA. Had to upgrade in the end.

9. jaydeee

jaydeee What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the update.
    I can to say to upgrade to windows 7 but now you've done it already.. good for you.