1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 eating memory?

Discussion in 'Software' started by logan'srun, 30 Oct 2009.

1. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

I've been getting some recent BSOD's associated with memory_management that I haven't been seeing before.

I open up my task manger and see two things that alarm me:
    1. Windows Search Indexer using 80,000k and going mad
    2. svchost.exe using 141,508K and doing what?

Now I'm looking and trying to figure out what's going on, but I have 14 instances of svchost.exe doing a multitude of things. Is this normal?

I went to the services tab to see what the biggest svchost was doing and this is what it listed that was associated with that action:
    1. AudioendpointBuilder
    2. CscService
    3. EMDMgmt
    4. hidserv
    5. IPBusEnum
    6. Netman
    7. PcaSvc
    8. SysMain (superfetch)
    9. TrkWks
    10. UxSms
    11. WdiSystemHost
    12. WPDBusEnum
    13. wudfsvc

All of the services were grouped in LocalSystemNetworkRestricted.

This is a recent issue that I've been having and have never noticed it before (at least not seeing 44% of my memory being used doing nothing than running desktop+firefox with 3 tabs). The memory has a small OC and I've changed the timings, but I don't think that is the cause of the BSOD's as my system has been stable for over a year with the same OC running close to 24/7.

So the question really is - does this sound normal or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of? I've run my Virus scanner (Panda) several times now as well as some online scanners and nobody has picked up anything. What's interesting is that there is 3% CPU usage, but 45% memory. . . .

Has it always been like this and I've never noticed?

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD New Member

Yes, in a word. It is normal. However you dont mention how much RAM you do have.

3. logan'srun

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD New Member

Thats high, but Vista's memory usage can spike up or down. First hint is ditch the virus scanner (aka bloatware), ditch Vista and switch to Windows 7.

5. logan'srun

well, don't have bloatware (installed everything myself), and my virus scanner is one that I have a license for (Panda Anti Virus 2010 version) that runs both my firewall and scanner.

What's interesting is that this is recent, not something that's normal and been like this from day 1.

Thanks for the (Semi) advice, switching to Win 7 doesn't really answer my questions or solve my problems.

6. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Run memtest86+ and see if you get any errors.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

svchost usually uses around 140k of RAM on one of the processes, and yes there is always that many scvhosts.

On my vista install, on task manager, I would always have about half mem being used 'ish on desktop. Part of the thing is that vista caches stuff to RAM using prefetch.

I don't think you can link any of this to BSODs. IF they are caused by RAM, its just that the RAM is dodgy.

thehippoz likes this.
  8. logan'srun

ok, I was afraid of that. I'll have to change the timings some. .

BTW passed like 4 hrs memtest at present settings. . .