1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista will keep deleted files

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 31 Jul 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

nice idea, as some programs (im looking at you TopStyle) for some reason clear the undo history on save...why would a program do that???

i think this latest Vista initiative is a good thing, and at least they have given us the option to turn it off. What would be better would be the ability to sellect which specific folders do/don't have their history saved :)

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm sure there are privacy implications but that'll be fine cos it'll be bypassable.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

interesting ideia, i hope they implement it well.

5. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Lets hope that it makes it all the way to the release of Vista because it sounds like a great little add on that will make life a little simpler for users everywhere.

6. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Nice idea.

We give our users 3Gb of network storage to backup their files, and I would guess around 3% of the 600 actually use it...

That percentage increases though when you say "If you didn't make a backup, it's gone" :)

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Good, as long as I know where it's held. And Ive developed such cryptic methods of making sure I always have a copy somewhere I dont think I'd ever use it though.

8. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

sounds like they wrote the OS to check every file into svn automaticly TBH

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Very untrue IMO, I know plenty of people who have thier hard drives filled to the brim.

I hope this is a feature you can disable, otherwise it completely defies the point of deleting unwanted/unused files to free up hard drive space.

I suppose it's useful to the police when trying to catch people with illgal data (or incriminating data) on thier hard drives, but then again, deleting a file doesn't truely delete it, you can still recover most deleted files.

I'd rather have a decent file system that this.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

there must be somekind of permanent delete control, like shift+del.
    and there must be somekind of timer, file changes with more that X time will be deleted.

11. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Win2003 has shadow copy which is much the smae thing

12. calking13

calking13 What's a Dremel?

ditto, this is nothing new from a network standpoint. Windows 2003 already has a previous versions system in place for network storage. Implementing this as a desktop solution would be interesting.

13. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

So you're telling me that if I Shift+Delete a folder at 4am in the morning I will no longer get adrenaline rush to my brain after realizing I spent the last 9 hours working on a project I just deleted?

Ahhh where's the challenge?

14. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

Privacy shouldnt be an issue for the truly concerned, im sure things like truecrypt will bring out vista safe versions.

ps. Pron on a shared computer -> PortableFireFox on a usb with caching and history disabled ;)

15. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

Thats what I thought - still a good idea if they let you choose which folders this applies to.

16. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Sounds great, as long as you can turn it off. :D

17. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

I could certantly see using this for certain directories on my computer that mainly involve text files and such, but for graphics and video that just sounds like it would not only suck up precious HD space but make saves a lot slower in the process as it makes a copy for backup. People (like me sometimes) that like to hit Ctrl-S every 10 words would see their HD space used up real fast by this even for basic word documents :p

18. glnsize

glnsize What's a Dremel?

There is nothing new here. They can't mess it up all there doing is putting a Pretty GUI on shadow copy... Which if it is shadow copy, and knowing M$ it is. It will only save the deltas. If you have a 200mb text file and you change one word. Shadow copy only copies the change! So its not a 200mb backup, it's a 2kb previous version. We run it on all network drives at my work... Our user home Dir are a little over 4TB. The shadow copies keep six weeks twice a day on a 40GB quota!!!

Now if I could only convince my boss to start buying vista compliant hardware... Maybe I'd actualy get to use this stuff before 2020 :sigh:

Last edited: 1 Aug 2006
  19. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It's a nice idea. I won't use it, as I keep backups on a seperate drive (and a removable flash drive, too...) :)

Tags: Add Tags