1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista: Windows Update and Defender can't update

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NeiltheDruid, 10 Feb 2013.

1. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Member

Hi guys,

I'm trying to sort out a computer for a friend and everything was going lovely until I discovered that neither Windows Update or Defender will update. When I click the update button on WU an error message says: "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart the computer." - which doesn't work.

When I click the Defender update button the error message says: "Error Found: Code 0xc8000222.".

I have tried using Microsofts Fix it, which appears to identify the problem, but doesn't fix it. Also, I have tried using all of this Knowledge Base article to no avail. -

Does anyone have any ideas?. It would be massively appreciated. :)

Cheers :thumb:

edit: Here is another post on the net with exactly the same problem as me, I am also experiencing the same "fatal" 0xc8000222 error in the windows update log file.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2013
  2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

turn off automatic updates, restart pc, turn on automatic updates, also check time and date

3. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Member

Rich - no joy :(

I've got a feeling that the install is pretty borked, I've been tinkering all day and gotten nowhere. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and do a reinstall.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Anything disabled in services?

5. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Member

It's weird I've looked through the start-up services and it says that windows update is running. :eyebrow: Absolutely everything is checked, nothing appears to be disabled.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you tried the normal stop windows update service, rename softwaredistribution restart windows update service?

looky here for hints

Last edited: 11 Feb 2013
  7. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I have just had to do on my desktop when W8 decided to thrash my disk non stop, making my W8 core i7 machine perform like a 286 due to Windows update intsaller module crashing or something like that leaving me with rather large Windows Error Reporting logs, gigabytes of the stuff.

Seems to have cured it, fingers crossed.

8. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Member

I tried renaming the softwaredistribution folder. Windows update now checks for updates infinitely, it doesn't find any results.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

did you look at the link, it has everything you need to do to fix windows update, if none of that works, it's probably a reload.

try running sfc /scannow from command prompt, something may be corrupt

10. Addie

Addie Member

I'd give deleting the contents of the downloads folder within software distribution a go, disable any AV/firewall. Norton for example I've known to stop windows updates from time to time. In command prompt (elevated) you can also try "net stop bits" and restart the PC then "net start bits".

There is lots more fun stuff you can try, but if this really is a friend you are helping... get them on Windows 7.

11. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Member

Rich - yeah I have tried everything in the KB article and ran sfc, still hasn't fixed it. I'm pretty certain I've done everything I can.

Addie - lol I've tried to persuade him to fork out for Windows 7 but he's a stingy git and won't.

Oh well guys, thanks for the help but I think I'm going to have to call this one, mate needs his laptop back soon.

12. Buzzons

Buzzons Active Member

update to windows 7 or 8?