1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista wont go away :(

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by THEkorean, 24 Jan 2007.

1. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

ok so i installed vista, the 30 day trial ends, i dont want it anymore, so i format the partition,, BUT now whenever i boot, i get "cannot find Windows\System32\Winload.exe" (duh, i formated the partition). That is the first problem, i need to get rid of that, secondly

After i press enter to get past it, it gives me this thing that lets me choose to boot from Windows Vista or "an older version of Windows" and this is really annoying, i tried deleting the Vista line from the Boot.ini file, but i still get this error.. can anyone help me get rid of this so that it will wutomatically boot to XP automattically.

oh yea.. and the first error wont even let me boot from a CD or floppy any idea why that is?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The MBR from Vista is different to XP, so you'll have to use the recovery console on XP to fixmbr.

3. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

well the problem is i cant acess the recovery console because it wont let me boot off any CD or Floppy :( is there any other way to fixMBR?

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Change the bios setting so you can boot off cd first. Even with a duff hard drive, as long as the bios is set that way, it should boot off a bootable cd first.

5. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

ive had it on boot CD still no dice, i got the recovery console installed thanks to theeldergeek.com , but now when i try to boot into it i get a please wait... then i get the blue screen

6. monkeybone

monkeybone What's a Dremel?

I would suggest using a program to zero fill the drive then once this is done, start loading your OS again. There are many free apps that you can use to zero fill and some can even be put on floppy (if you can't boot to CD).

7. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

dosnt that mean i have to like.. reformat? i looked up zero filling and it looks like "a low level format" is that correct? cause i REALLY REEAAAALY cant afford to format my drive. Is there any way to fix my master boot record while im in the OS with programs like Partition magic or something?

8. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

No, Trow the hard disk as slave and CD drive as master, boot UBCD, load you HDD utility, Zero Fill the complete one, not quick. There are also some utilitys to fix your MBR.

9. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

What i would do is, i would take your hdd. Install it in another machine with a working os. Then, make sure the windows partition on the drive is active and find a way to remove the windows vista bootloader (theres programs that will do that for you).

10. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

run "msconfig"
    then make your way to the Boot.ini tab, edit the tab to have a timeout of 0 seconds so that it boots to XP and dosent give you the choice of booting to vista. its not a nice hack but itll work while i find a way to do it properly (i think there is a reg key to change/delete)

as for the mbr. you need the XP console for that my man.

EDIT::
    OR you can find the boot.ini file and edit it manually with notepad. remove the line in it that refers to vista and then save.

MS can be helpful

Last edited: 26 Jan 2007
  11. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

The problem is that Vista does not use boot.ini/ntldr. It used Boot Confuration Data (BCD) instead and puts it in the mbr.
    You could either mess what bcdedit from the command line in Vista to remove the Vista option from it and just use it as the bootloader for XP, or you will need to run fixmbr from the recovery console.
    I know that you bizzarely cannot boot from CD, but can you boot from floppy? You can create XP boot floppies (all 7 of them!) and get to the recovery console that way.

12. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

try getting a program like boot commander or system commander, or boot magic... often, they can get into your MBR and reset it, or let you pick what to boot to.
    i had the same problem with my vista install, and minus me reinstalling vista, going to their startup/dual boot and making it default to legacy and have a 1second timeout (just in case) i just had to fuss with it every time i booted up.

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again