1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux VNC server on a VPS

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by m0o0oeh, 12 Nov 2011.

1. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

OK, so I'm looking for a little help here.

I have recently bought a VPS server from a company. I have now managed to install the desktop variant of Ubuntu on there, along with a VNC server. Now according to Terminal, the vnc server is working, but, and you'll have to bear with me on this, because I am a real Linux n00b, following instructions, i inputted the following:

Code:
    lsof -i -n -P | grep -v 127.0.0.1
    And that spewed out a load of numbers and ip addresses, and they all say (ESTABLISHED), but it still won't let me connect on a VNC viewer.

Now, using gtkvncviewer on Linux Mint 9, it says that I was disconnected.

Is there any reason it would do this? And because its a remote IP, I can't use gotomyvnc or whatever, because it just scans local ip's, and i can't work out how to connect to that site using Terminal to run the check or whatever.

And now it won't let me kill the vnc session. Yay, n00bs.

Help appreciated people.

2. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

OK, so I kinda got it to work, so i could login - but forgot the exact combination of username, password, and server details. So, sorta back to square one, but seemingly, since I connected over VNC, it won't let me install anything on the server, because there appears to be no outbound connection from the server. I'm trying to install LAMP, but its not letting me because of the connection problem, whatever that may be.

So, frustrated in a corner again... :/

:EDIT:

OK, so some issues resolved from the host's end, but still cant connect over VNC... slightly peterbed by this

Last edited: 12 Nov 2011