1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Vote for your Game of the Year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Dec 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

And you can opt out of it after the sign up... :rolleyes:

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Same here. Sign up for a newsletter only to unsubscribe straight away?

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Once I had spent my two minutes signing up and unsubscribing from the email (it really isn't hard, just a bit irritating) I voted for the only three I have played, RA3, Mass Effect (which I though came out last year :confused:) and Far Cry 2

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

If we actually did anything with the information, you might have a point. As it is you're just making assumptions. The simple fact is that last year when we did a reader vote of this size (MOTY) people exploited how lenient we were with the requirements. People cheated, basically.

Now, we have a happy medium and the best of both worlds. We lengthen the sign-up process a bit and try to make you verify your validity, but the process takes all of two seconds and doesn't hassle you if you don't want it to.

We explicitly say we don't spam, sell your info or do anything with it at all other than use it to send you a single weekly newsletter - if you want.

I honestly find it baffling that you guys would make such a big deal out of it that you'd come here and whinge when you could easily just put in a hotmail address and DOB and say "Don't send me the newsletter"

There's no hidden agenda here, just needless paranoia.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

You wouldn't believe the amount of false entries we had to weed out of the Mod of the Year competition last year (read: tens of thousands) because they were either fake or fraudulent (hundreds upon hundreds of votes from one IP, fake email addresses, etc) - and very obviously so - because there basically weren't any requirements to vote. This is our way to minimise gaming of the system.

Yes, we realise that you can sign up many times over if you fancy spending the time signing up for free email addresses, but all we're trying to do is make the result reflect the actual consensus of the readers. A lot of people don't want to sign up to the forum, but may want to receive our newsletter... for those that don't want to receive it, you simply opt out after the sign up - and that still gives you the chance to vote in future polls like this.

6. Hamish

Hamish New Member

more like
    1. sign up with spam account
    2. vote
    3. forget about it
    4. ???????
    5. profit!

i dont even see where you can login on the site, what does a site account enable anyway :p

7. Narishma

Narishma New Member

I'm too lazy to sign up for this but the only game on that list I played anyway is Mass Effect, and I haven't even finished it yet. I'm too busy with last year's games.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ..,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:”........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

But Joe, I want you.

Nah, just kidding. It's not paranoia, it's just inconvenient and if there's one thing IT guys know how do, it's complain, grumble, moan and lament. Like old people, but we don't smell of wee and lavender. Back OT, signed and voted anyways.

10. Hamish

Hamish New Member

dont you have a gmail account for signing up to random stuff? :p
    i thought everyone did :D

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If I wasn't so unbelievably lazy when it comes to filling out forms, I would totally sign up and vote for my games of the year.

But, after all, I am possibly the laziest person to ever wander the internet (From a lying down at the start perspective), ever.

On top of which, I couldn't pick three to vote for. Even using the fallback option of WoW.

12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Not voted yet since I'm not sure that those which are my favorites really deserve it!

Some major titles have been released this year, but what's hurt them all in my opinions (PC platform) is that the implementation has been horrific. They are either direct ports even though they claim not to be, or the DRM issues on all of them have really been poop!

As for Far Cry 2, well that for me is the worst game of the year! A title it deserves for how much it was over hyped!! Sadly we all fell for it until getting the game home and installing it on our own PC's!

13. Nictron

Nictron Member

Lord of the Rings Online - Mines of Moria?

You included quite a few other MMO's!

14. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

I have no issue with the amount of data you guys do or do not require and I'll sign up an vote just as soon as I've played one of the games on the list. It's shocking to me that I've been so out of the gaming scene this year :)

Personally I'm happy to do surveys and stuff if you guys need the data .

EDIT : Signed up... now to go buy some games :)

Last edited: 10 Dec 2008
  15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ah, now that makes sense :)
    I seem to keep forgetting the BT-forums are not the centre of the universe. Thx Tim

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Sorry, but I still think it would be the best if we could just use the forum account for it, anyway, registered and voted.

go go L4D, Fallout 3 and Grid.

17. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Like many on here, I'm a bit pissed that we have to sign-up for the Newsletter - it's a cynical trick which doesn't become BT.

Yes I can unsubscribe, and I can lie about my location and my company size - so what is the point?

As for votes, I opted for Left4Dead, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect...

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Voted L4D, Fallout 3 and Sins for PC and L4D, Fallout 3 and Rock Band 2 for consoles.

You going to be doing a staff GotY award too?

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Audiosurf, Red Alert 3 and Left4Dead (even if I only played the demo of L4D)
    I've not played any others on that list to a great extent. COD seems alright, as does TR:U. RA3 has been taking my time up recently though.

Burnout Paradise, Little Big Planet and GTA4. I wish I could vote a fourth, it being Wipeout HD. All awesome games imo. I've still to really delve into making a lbp level.

20. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

this. not impressed, guys. it's not paranoia, i don't care what you do with my info. i fill out the reader surverys and stuff. it's just annoying to have to sign up for this. and then have to unsignup.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2008