1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks VPN Works from some clients but not others

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loply, 25 Oct 2005.

1. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

Hi folks,

Ive set up a VPN server on a Win2k3 server, which is behind a DLink ADSL Router.

I can access the VPN fine from my home computer, which is behind a DLink Cable Modem router, but from any other networks it connects, but wont let me access the file shares (SMB).

I cant understand what is different about my home network that allows me to connect, when all other router'ed networks (including other UPNP networks) wont connect. Any suggestions?

Ive checked the obvious stuff like making my other networks use the same IP range, checked for firewall options, etc.

Anybody come across this? The routers in question that wont allow the connection at a DLink ADSL router and a BT ADSL router, both UPNP. XP Clients.

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You need to set port forwarding on the routers, so that if someone connects through the VPN port from the outside, the router will automatically forward this computer to the server.

Can't talk now, got a lecture!

3. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

The VPN Server (win2k3) works fine as the router supports UPNP which automatically forwards ports as/when needed.

I know the server is fine because I can connect to the VPN and open files etc from my home network (which is a DLink cable modem router).

It's just from any other network that I cant connect, e.g. my work network, or, importantly, the customers other network. I assume this is down to some difference in the configuration of my home router and the other routers.

4. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

Btw just to clarify, when I connect to the VPN I do succesfully authetnicate, and I get assigned an IP, I just cant access the fileshares.

I dont know whats different from my home router to this one that makes it work at home but not here. Ive tried updating the firmware.

5. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

you need to your local ip subnet to be differenet for the one your trying to connect to via vpn. it's worth cheaking you and your clients arn't all on 192.168.0.X / 255.255.255.0 as this is the default ip range for a lot of routers

EDIT

Just re read your post

THat's your problem they need to be different IP subnets or won't know which network a specific IP is on.

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Why? Because I have my VPN on the same IP and everything works fine, I can access other files without problems. Basically, VPN is allowing your computer to be another computer on the remote network, so having the same IP shouldn't affect anything.

7. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

A VPN connects your PC (or your network in the case of a site to site) with a remote network, if both your PC and the remote network are on the same IP sub net then if you try to ping an ip address your computer won't know which network to use either the local one or the remote one. (if that makes any sense,) it's probably more relevent for site to site VPN's but should still be true for client to site VPNs if your on a local network as well. you may find that once you connect your VPN you can access the remote network but not your local network or vice versa it all depends on which network is your default

8. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Are they in the same workgroup? The VPN and the ones at your work.

9. coorz

coorz Miffed

I can understand Sp!'s point, that may be well worth investigating. Also the 'other routers' may have certain ports blocked necessary for Windows Networking.
    What is the error message you get when you can't access the shares? Can you ping the remote machine on IP or hostname?

10. chicagotech

chicagotech What's a Dremel?

quoted from http://www.chicagotech.net

Resolution for VPN server and client using the same IP range
    If both sites are using the same IP range, PPTP doesn't in most cases. However, you may modify the routing table to make one to one connection. Another option is us IPSec instead of PPTP...

Tags: