1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other VR "legs"

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by wyx087, 4 May 2020.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

In reply to this post, so that don't clutter up the for-sale thread.

@ModSquid
    Unfortunately yes.... to some degree, depends on the game.

"VR legs" is a thing that you have to train for. This thread is how I gained my "VR legs".
    I find myself still have problems with smooth horizontal turns. I never gotten the hang of racing games in VR.
    No problem with flying like SW Squadrons or MSFS. No problems with stick locomotion like Boneworks or Stormland.

There are low entry VR games that seems to be okay with all people, it'll be easier to stomach than VR rollercoasters because you control 100% of all perspective movement. Games like Beat Saber, FitXR. Teleportation based locomotion is also an easy entry point, HL Alyx is designed very well for new comers.

ModSquid likes this.
  2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Thanks wyx - my forum etiquette has slipped somewhat today!

Appreciate your answer too. My main idea was Squadrons, Alyx and similar stuff, so your answer is most relevant. Maybe if I get the set from somewhere with a decent returns policy, then if it doesn't suit me well I might be able to send it back. Really want it to be compatible but I know from experience I don't do spinny-roundy rides well, even though I can do real-world rollercoasters all afternoon.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Perhaps start with HL Alyx first. Teleport locomotion. Then ease into joystick smooth loco.

Leave Squadrons until you are sure you can handle smooth locomotion. Some of the maneuvers can be on my limit, that's with a few months of comfortable VR FPS experience under my belt.

Lone Echo 1 and more recent 2. Also Echo Area free MP side of the series. They are excellent space games, but unlike Squadron, zero problems for me.

Similarly, I wasn't sure and did feel queazy initially. I bought Quest 1 (at John Lewis of all places) when they were out of stock everywhere due to pandemic. Thinking if I can't get on, I can evil-bay it without loosing much. But the immersion factor and how it re-ignited my love for gaming made me keep it.