1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR3 MP3 FM Modulator, any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by OneSeventeen, 24 Mar 2006.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I'm going on a road-trip today and thought I'd pick up an FM Transmitter so we can listen to our car DVD player over the radio. I'd also like to be able to listen to MP3s and stop scratching my CDs in the car.

I've found all sorts of cheapie transmitters (and even have some of the parts to build my own) but the VR3 MP3 FM Modulator struck me as most interesting.

You can either plug in a USB stick and it will transmit the MP3s to an FM station, or plug in an optional cable to your DVD player/laptop/MP3 player/etc.. to transmit that audio signal.

It is also cheaper than the cheapest FM transmitter that has a car power adapter (that I could find locally).

The only downside, it requires a car power adapter. No battery-only option.

This means I could only use it in my car.

The obvious question I'd have to ask myself, is where would I ever use it other than my car? I don't even have a radio in my house other than my crappy sounding alarm clock.

So now, I like it, it has all the features I want and more, but has anyone used one of these before? Am I going to plug it in and get a horrible/mono signal? Or is it going to actually sound decent?

I don't have any aftermarket audio kits, but I do have the factory-installed bose system in my 6, so I'd prefer it not crackle or distort it too bad. (I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, I still use the earbuds that came with my creative nomad! But I also don't like crappy electronics.)

2. Autobot

Autobot New Member

I got one of those over at Walmart a few months back and I ended out returning it the next day. It had horrible playback and most MP3s end out sounding really scratchy. I tried several different bit rates of MP3s and they purdy much all sounded the same. Its a neato idea for a product, just very poorly executed.

3. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Well, I just bought it, and while I will have to tune the bass on my stereo to make it sound decent, I'm rather pleased.

It was less than $30 after tax, and does what it says on the tin. I plugged in a USB stick with MP3s on it, and it played just fine, then I plugged in an MP3 player to the line-in jack, and it works fine.

The sound quality is (you'll never guess...) radio quality, and sounds a bit lower and muted than normal, but I'm assuming raising the trebel should help.

I'll post back after the trip with how well the DVD player sounds on it.

EDIT:
    I'm also planning on making my own with some free samples I picked up from a US electronics destributor, but for the convenience and quality increase over the built-in sound on the portable DVD player I've got, this is a welcome addition to my car trips.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2006
  4. customh

customh conflagration.

I thought this thing sucked, had one and returned it, im going to buy a belkin tunecast II

5. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 New Member

i have one and its killer, if you can find an empty station. not an easy thing to do with such a big city so close.

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Yeah, I returned it and bought the belkin tunecast elcheapo (I)

It just has 4 stations to choose from, all of which have super-crazy-powered stations right next to them, so it flickers in and out all the time, but I hear the tunecast II allows you to choose from all the radio stations, right?

The quality on these belkin units are amazing though!

Now to figure out how to allow for more channels, and create an AC adapter for it..