1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wörkstation v2.0

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Digitalblueshift, 25 Mar 2003.

1. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

Concept:
    Lets face it Im in need of the one thing all of us computer geeks can agree that we need, I need a desk, and I want a desk that will complement my current system, and my next system designs - already floating around inside my head. I have already a proven style that works for me, but the construction, nay the execution of the design must be modified. It must be large enough to service my needs, stong enough to support three monitors (my eventual hope) as well as easy as possible to disassemble and move. (my parents house will not be my place of residence for that much longer)

Idea:
    One piece Metal frame + 7 legs
    Glass or Plexiglass Top & Keyboard drawer both edge lit (blue).
    Custom cable managment to rid myself of cable mess. (including extension cables)
    Video in, Video out, RCA audio in, RCA & sterio minijack audio out, and 2 port USB hub customized into frame near the keyboard drawer.
    Extension cables for monitor and speakers built into desk??? (that way all of the connections are made as hidden as possible.
    Semi custom powerbus for AC power. (I need a few AC plugs easily accessible for a desk lamp, Cellphone charger, whatever)

Dimensions:
    An even armed - L shaped corner desk. 5' by 5' and 21" deep with a 24" front "work area"

Ok I know it isnt a Computer, but it is related and it is a project so... And im going out for the steel sometime this week, so I should have the skeleton ready by monday.
    *crosses fingers* Heres hoping my dad takes me to his metal place.

A couple of renders in maya (I really hate the watermark too BTW) The lighting and colour simulates my room.
    Top down:
    [​IMG]
    Side view:
    [​IMG]
    Ultimatley what I want:
    [​IMG]

L -> R top to B
    Left speaker Right speaker on bottom of shelf
    left rear speaker, 17" LCD, 19" CRT, 17" LCD, right rear speaker on desk
    Filing cabinet, subwoofer, Dual p100 & 15" CRT footrest/project, System underneath desk

Any Ideas for the types of things that you always wished to have close at hand, and perhaps built into the desk? Things like the aformentionined video and audio input and output jacks.

Assiciated mods: yet to see the light of day.
    Switched DC powerbus. (So I have a switch mounted to the desk- as well as the case - to turn on/off all of the case/desk/desktop(see below) lighting)
    Glowy mousepad
    Glowy Keyboard

Last edited: 27 Mar 2003
  2. bust0aster

bust0aster What's a Dremel?

how about a cup holder ;)

3. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Isn't that what the CD drive is for?? :D

4. Digitalblueshift

clickie

5. Premium

Premium What's a Dremel?

lol, you could have killed my dvd drive, my headphones are infront of it and when it opened up the headphones jammed the dvd and they got stuck :lol:

6. |Jedi|

|Jedi| What's a Dremel?

DAMN YOU!!!!

i was burning a CD!!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

<EdiT by Hwulex>
    Watch your language! :grr:

7. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

ahahaha Im sorry but it was funny!

:D

Last edited: 26 Mar 2003
  8. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

|Jedi|: You know the rules. Using methods to get round the swear filter is breaking them. The filter is there for a reason, respect that.

/Steers thread back on course.

Sounds like a really nice desk that mate. I'm moving into a new house soon so will be needing something, and I don't think anything other than custom build will satisfy. Never had an L shaped desk before, but seems ideal. May have to go that route.

9. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Sounds nice. I'm getting to modify my room soon. Already got L Shaped Desk at the end of my bed it is good for large monitors (19" plus). Hopeing to put another L shaped desk in the other corner. Then building a desk all the way round till the door. It should look good.

Hope it goes well for you mate. Its nice having a good shape and sized desk.

10. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Sounds good, I had been thinking about something like this, when I realised that it wouldd be increadibly expencive and difficult for me to assamble (I have no experience with metalwork what-so-ever),

Looking forward to hearing more!

11. cjorli

cjorli What's a Dremel?

I got a couple of silver desks from IKEA a while back. There in "L" form and work great have tons of space, they're silver, and easily customized to your needs. They were $50 a piece, but that was cheaper than anything else. IKEA

Desk

Sorry for the quality of the pic, just a webcam... but soon a sweet miniDV camcorder will be ariving :brrr: (used for drool effect)

12. IceColdFever

IceColdFever What's a Dremel?

I bought a desk from IKEA that rocks. It's a black metal tubing with a glass top. You can buy different sections. I have a 2 long tables, and 1 corner piece and then a shorter 2 level section.

The prise was nice. The quality is great.

I had plans to build a custom desk, but couldn't come up with a good design (and it would have been a wood desk). I bought the wood and started thinking, then i went to IKEA and returned the wood....

I looked on their website, but i couldn't find a pic. I'll try to post one later...

13. Digitalblueshift

IM sort of going for an ikea effect, Most of the rest of the main furniture I have is from Ikea.

Piccies added...

14. Digitalblueshift

I have no expierence with metalwork either, however my father does, hes been welding floors back into cars for years, I figured its time to put his mig machine at something a little more difficult than a floor weld.

15. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Can you not use printscreen to get rid of the watermarks?

16. IceColdFever

17. Digitalblueshift

no they are on the renders, the wireframes (although easy to crop out and not as avbious) and any shaded view.

OT::: What do you do with three computers????

TBH I like the setup, But I think black is waaaay to severe a color for the frame.

I know I havent made that much progress, but this is a project log, and not a place to show off your workspace. If you had an idea along with that post im afraid I missed it.

18. IceColdFever

i posted that to show you what my desk from IKEA looked like...sorry

I just thought it looked a lot like what you wanted...

I removed the pics and just made links...i'll remove the links if you want...Sorry to intrude, i was only trying to help

19. Digitalblueshift

Alright now I understand. Its just It looked lijke to me you were trying to hijack the thread, BTW nice setup, did you put that in the desktop thread?

Ive see ikea stuff before, As I type im staring at an ikea catalogue, I like the simplicity of their designs. The Idea I was going for is sort of to have the desktop "float" above the frame not sit inside it like yours, Ive seen some coffeetables and such like like this. I dont know if I will do a glass of a plexiglass top, but I will probably have to have it cut at my local 'glass' shop because I want it one piece for strength, the three piece woodent op I have now sags, although the new frame should take care of it. I dont know if i want to do a frosted treatment (i probably will do to the edges - lightly). Im thinking I will completley frost the keyboard drawer, to hide scratches.

Like I said was silver because I think black is way to severe even in your pics, although I will have to look at it full size to really get a good picture, silver may look too muddled, black may look sharper.... GAHHHH Now you got me thinking again!!!!!

Im trying to finalise what kind of things Im going to add, and I just thought of another a 2 port USB hub, I have the asus USB panel that I totally screwed up the plate for, where else to put it??? This is the kind if things im looking for help with. Because you think of these things after, and I want to before.

and again what do you do with all of that kit???

20. IceColdFever

hey man...all it comes down to is....what matches you case/monitor/speakers? I bought black because everything i have goes with black...(expect my $9 keyboard).

I like you ideas. Glass shelves would be cool if you desk is going to stay there, you can mount them on the wall. I have plans to do that when i move into my own house.

You realize that with a custom desk, you HAVE TO put blue accent lighting...maybe engrave you name/nick into the plexi and light it with leds...

If you have a stereo hooked upto you system, run the wires thru the tubing/supports and put jacks on either end so that you don't have wires all over the place.

what's this all about???