1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards :waah: Sniff Sniff Motherboard Dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloodburgers, 18 Jun 2012.

1. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Hello there people.

After a number of years of service my Motherboard (see sig) has given up the ghost.

As a whole the system worked perfectly and never had any issues with a steadily overclocked cpu.

I really don't want to have to buy cpu etc all over. So i was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what i should replace my mobo with. If i have to go for a mobo that supports ddr3 as opposed to ddr2 thats not a problem especially as the cost of ram atm is so low.

i will be wanting to oc my cpu so the board must be able to take the required speeds.

As always thank you for your responses in advance.

2. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

One of the legendary P45s will suit you nicely! Or was it P35...?

But tbh an upgrade now will net you a LOT of extra performance as LGA775 is pretty oldskool. Also DDR3 LGA775 boards are very rare so don't worry about that.

The ASUS P5-Q has been recommended a lot.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

You should get your post count a little higher to access the marketplace here.

To be honest with skt 775 the only available boards that are new are all a bit pap so you would be better looking second hand than buying new - and here is always cheaper than ebay.

You should probably look a p45 board or an x38/x48. None of those chipsets will have a problem running 1600fsb (normally, but as ever ymmv) which would give you 3.6ghz if you run x9, does the q6700 have a x10 multi?

4. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Icant remember what timings i am running been so long since i set it up and all my cpu-z screenshots are on that pc ::-S:

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Terrible predicament!

Feel for you my friend

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I wouldnt worry, socket 775 overclocking is easy.

Your chip should be good for at least 3.6ghz, on about 1.35v (ish) - that can be achieved loads of ways. the q6700 does have a tenth multi. Worry about getting your board first then we can worry about getting your oc back :)

easiest way is just to up the fsb to 400 and use x9 multi, that will get you 3.6ghz. You need to increase the pll up to maybe 1.5 or 1.6, increase the nb so it can handle the extra speed, and increas vcpu to about 1.35 - 1.4 - these figures are all about the ballpark I used to use on a similar system, obviously they will change on each computer to the next as everyone is different!

EDIT: you had 4.2, just re read your sig. So I would have though, that that would just be 420x10 - 420 is starting to approach where most chipsets top out for fsb into a socket 775 quad, very max I ever got into mine was 455 with x48 (p45's clocked a bit higher but I never had one and a quad at the same time, some p35's were insane as well) - must have been 420x10, as otherwise it would have been 466x9 and i dont think any socket 775 chipset would have done that every day for very long.