1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education WAHOO! Got into uni!

Discussion in 'General' started by Jordan Wise, 14 Aug 2008.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Funny how things like that happen, huh.

Sucks to be paper chasers in most situations.

Right place, right time <3

2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Graz to everyone who got in! I start my second year in 2 weeks and after drinking away my first year (passed 20% of my courses:wallbash:) I have to pull double shifts this year. But as others sad the first year is about partying and making friends!

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i suddenly feel rather old, i am about to start my third year of UNI, after doing three years at college, three years as i decided in my second year to do photography to find a hobby.. end up teaching the dam course!

now counting down my 21st birth in 12 days!! woot!

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well it's all about getting into the right uni.

Exams aren't getting that much easier, it's just easier subjects are available and people do those. Actually that's not true they did make maths a hell of a lot easier the year after I did my A-level

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Remember, in your first year of uni, all you need to do is pass the first year (get over 40%), no more. It means nothing to get good grades, so don't waste your time trying hard. Also this way, you aren't burned out for second year. That was my big mistake and I still regret putting so much work into my first year.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's alright, as long as you know you'll get >40%, and as long as your degree doesn't give any weight to 1st year. Mine was worth 10%... :(

7. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Sarcasm, much?

8. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

You wish.

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

I think some people here have been reading a little too much of the Daily Mail. EW.

10. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

I'm a Student and i agree getting into uni is too easy. It causes so many problems for the country as a whole letting lots of people go to uni.

You always need people to do the jobs such as bin men and street sweepers, jobs which require hardly any Education.

11. Timmy_the_tortoise

Can't hurt to have lots of overqualified candidates...

12. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

True, but not very many people would go to uni and expect to be in such a basic job due to salary etc.

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

Someone's got to do it.. And there's hardly enough graduate jobs to go around to all of these graduates. Besides, I'm pretty sure less than half of kids from GCSE/A-level years actually go to Uni.

And besides, I pretty sure it's "easier" to get into Uni because there's a much larger variety of courses available these days.

14. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

It depends on what course and university whether its difficult to get in. I had A's at AS and an A in A2 maths already when I applied, and was predicted (and acheived) A's in Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry (an Gen. Studies :rolleyes:), and I still couldn't get into any unis to study medicine.:waah:

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It can, that's why many employers turn down people for being overqualified.

Plus, lots of students means lots of student loans.

Lots of students not being able to get a decent job means lots of student loads not being repaid.

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Precisely

Courses like English Literature and Medicine are difficult courses with a lot applicants, and are therefore very difficult to get into. Courses like Physics are difficult, but don't have so many applicants, so you need decent grades, but they're more willing to accept you even if you didn't quite make the grades. Then there's courses like Fire and Explosions, which probably isn't too difficult, and doesn't have many applicants.. and so pretty much anyone who applies will get in..

Then, you've got which Uni it is.. Obviously it's difficult to get into the more prestigious redbricks like Oxford and Cambridge, but many newer and less well-known/less prestigious Unis are easier to get into. That's partly due to snobbery, and partly due to the number of applicants..

17. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Well, I'm trying for medicine, and I can assure you, its rock solid. Not only do you need all A's, but you need to pass some solid additional exams (UKCAT and BMAT), you need a good bit of work experience, a pretty stressful interview, and about 15 other applicants fighting you for your place...

18. Combinho

Even if you get high BMAT and UKCAT, you can still miss out on the interviews. I got the top BMAT my school had ever had (my school is also top 25/50 -not sure in the country) and the top UKCAT in my year, and still only got one interview. I'd also done a fair bit of work experience, and also did extra-curricular activities.

19. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Exactly. Solid isn't it? Where did you apply?

Did you get in?

20. Combinho

I applied to Nottingham, imperial, bristol and Soton, and only got an interview at Imperial, and didnt get in to any.

Tags: