1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Want to play PC on TV, room with PC and TV far apart.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adzc1987, 25 Sep 2013.

1. adzc1987

adzc1987 Member

Right now I can play my PC games on living room TV using steams big picture, a 25m HDMI cable, a wireless xbox controller kit and my phone as keyboard/mouse.

Im moving house and its going to be a much larger distance, I could probably get longer HDMI cables and run from the Office to Living room in new house, but not sure about the Xbox controller.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Im not looking to build a dedicated PC for living room, just use my existing one.

A thought was a wired Xbox controller with USB extension leads or something?

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

A 25m run immediately sets off alarm bells.
    You're probably going to need at least one active repeater for both the HDMI and USB. Neither are designed to carry signals over that distance.
    HDMI is marginal and you may have some luck with a good quality cable, but USB's maximum is closer to 5m.

Also, you have the option of HDMI over cat5/6 which rather solves the distance limitations of HDMI, but I suspect the USB will be the main problem. Any active system may also introduce lag, which may be a problem for gaming.

adzc1987 likes this.
  3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

adzc1987 likes this.
  4. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

5. ferret141

ferret141 Well-Known Member

SteamOS may be a future option. But right now I think USB and HDMI adapters over ethernet might be your solution.

adzc1987 likes this.
  6. adzc1987

adzc1987 Member

Im not looking to build a living room PC atm so SteamOS no use atm.

Aye lag may be an issue, thanks for advice so far.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yes I think this would probably be the most viable option. However I'm not sure what sort of latencies would be involved.

adzc1987 likes this.