1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

War of the worlds

Discussion in 'General' started by Icecoldbagey, 1 Jul 2005.

1. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

That's what made the film even more great :D

None of this slow down, you know when it's gonna end, try and squeeze the plot into a dragged out ending nonsense.

Absolutely perfect for the story line.

2. Springs

Springs Boing boing

just saw it yesterday... wasent a bad film.. but like the others said there were some bad things.... i would of thought they would have come down in ships instead of comming up from the ground... would of been nice if there was more than one main character.. and like multi story thing... and the ending could of been better..

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

was very cool and the whole thing with them coming out of the ground is a big part of the film, they are already here, bla bla bla. don't know why they dint just take over when we were all single cell'd retards though, instead of having a war. and also, if there that damnd clever, wouldn't they be able to detect 3 not so stealthy humans in a cellar?

and how the ******** did the kid survive? he should have been incinerated....

cool film though

going again on wednesday, cos i go free with orange wednesdays.!!! wooo

4. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Bollocks!

This is all I can say :eeek:

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

I loved the movie. I wish I could get my hands on one of the 3d Models of the walkers they used... I would wreck havoc upon my own little 3d city... Muahahaha.

Oh, and froggy, did you really live near there?! Thats badass dude!

6. I must say the film was excellent. The ending was quite weak but it was compensated for by the rest of immense film. i particularly like the basement scene where they were hiding frome the tripods with the guy with the pump action shotgun (lol)

I liked some aspects of the filming like showing the scene through the camcorder, or in a reflection or in one of the cars mirrors.

The tripods defo made me think of HL2 heh

Overall I give the film 4 stars - ****

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Love this film, despite the minor flaws (watch, NAD stereo, car etc). One of those films you have to own and see in the cinema a few times (for the effect of the audience and the big screen and good sound system) because a cinema screen gives a better effect than any and all of the home-cinema systems i've seen.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

omg the striders were taking over! well tripods in the movie, but how identical. I can't figure out which one was modelled after the other, seeing as I never saw the original or heard the broadcast. All they needed was that wierd death rattle after they go down and give tom cruise a goatee :p

I thought it was pretty good, but the ending seemed reallllly weak.

9. K

K 528491

Stop with the HL2 comparisons!! I doubt Spielberg has even seen the bloody game before!

Jesus christ.

10. gargoyle

gargoyle What's a Dremel?

I think H.G.Wells played HL and then went back in time to write the book. After all he did also write the Time Machine, and Spielberg was giving us huge hints with the whole "they're already here" thing. It's obvious he was implying the time travel thing.

Pardon me whilst I fit my tin foil hat.

11. Springs

Springs Boing boing

if u want to compare it to something... IMO its exactly like Independence day..

aliens come.... attack... cant be defeated.. kill more people.. humans find/see a weakness.. aliens die... the end...

12. Krikkit

True, but this is good. Independance day was a weak-ass piece of crap.

13. dom_

dom_ --->

eh so was this, equally flawed/hollywood

14. Krikkit

But Independance Day was nowhere near as engaing, entertaining or well-filmed imho. This is one of the first films i've seen in a while (thriller) that has actually kept me in suspense.

15. K

K 528491

Yes, Independence Day was quite similar to War of the Worlds in that aliens attack us and then are killed somehow. It's very very similar.

16. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

The humans didn't find a weakness. The aliens were getting sick. When they attacked with the javalins in the end, they attacked the tripod which was being piloted by a dying alien. Sure the people destroyed the tripod, but the pilot was already about to die.

Independance Day was a pretty decent movie as was this one. Not every movie can please everyone.

I already mentioned that I concurred with the "what a weak ending" comments. However, since Spielberg tried to adhere to the major parts of the original story, he was probably also aiming to capture the same effect that the radio broadcast had on people.

17. dom_

dom_ --->

you found this an engaging thriller???

go watch suspiria I COMMAND IT!
    Dario Argento's masterpiece has to be seen if you like thrillers, HAS!

18. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Well I'm pretty much on my own thinking it was a pile of utter **** then, lol.

I thought it was a typical spielberg 'masterpiece' - ie; check my effects and film making skills y0!

I wanted to murder Tom Cruises daughter, I also noticed all the inconsistencies far too much, felt as a film it definitely relied on the whole cinema experience far too much (any shocking/scarey parts would definitely suck on a normal tv), and wished it was set in london instead ...but then I'm not normally one for alien invasion styly films. :p

19. cc rass

cc rass What's a Dremel?

The movie was made after a book. The book had a seriouse point in it. But the super cool Spielberg lost it. The film had no point in it. Nice film about killing with lots of action and blood. That's what i hate about this movie.

20. If you look at it that way does any film have a "point" ?

Not having a go @ you or anything btw