1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warez/Pirating Etc..

Discussion in 'General' started by :: kna ::, 14 Dec 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Right, let's clear up why this is such a sore point.

Warez and Pirating are illegal, right. That's a given, it doesn't matter how much you actually do it or how wrong the RIAA and nasty megacorps are, it's still illegal.

Now, if you discuss it and we *don't* do anything about it then, because we're responsible to some extent for the content on our boards, it looks like we're condoning it or at the least, accepting it.

Secondly, if the police come to us and say 'We've seen XYZ user is talking about his copied software, we want you to give us his login details and IP address etc' then we are legally bound to do so, and believe me WE WILL, because whilst we lub you all, it's none of our business if they want to chase you up for software.

Granted, it's unlikely to happen, however people don't seem to realise that talking about it is akin to confessing crimes down the pub and if the wrong person overhears you then there is NO REASON you're not going to get pulled up over it. That's from a full discussion to the occasional 'Well I don't pay for my games'. ONE SENTENCE, is all they would need to at least start investigating you.. it's called a 'clue'. If they kick your door in one day and take your PC away for analysis, then you're really in it then.. why, just because once you mentioned that you had downloaded something.

Frankly, I don't care.. in the comfort of your own homes you can download what you like. But for your own sake, and the sake of these forums, just talk about it somewhere else. We're not stuffy about it, we're just trying to protect everyone's interests.

2. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Agreed. I've been in trouble for software piracy myself, it DOES happen and it can become rather more serious than you'd expect.

Now everyone start using Linux, where you dont have to pirate software :rock:

3. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

agreed as well!

we aint sayin you cant do it, just dont talk bout it ere, right?

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Protect Bit-tech!

5. Jaz

Jaz Banned

**** The System, but not here

6. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Agreed, Understood, and Appologies

:brrr:

7. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Definately agreed, it's not fair if Bit-Tech get in trouble because some people talk about pirating on their forums. How many people are regged with this forum? Gauranteed even more browse through it and even more than that view the website reviews/articles.

8. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

**runs off to change posts and edit wording that could be subjective** :D:D:D:D:D

9. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

come on guys. if you want to talk about stealing that is what it is, go somewhere else. Don't get ths forum in trouble because you want to discuss breaking the law.

Use Linux, get free software.

10. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Thanks for clearing all that up ... sometimes it seemed like the mods were being a bit heavy-handed, but I understand better now.

Cheers

:rock:

11. monolith

monolith True Friend

Any talk of warez/pirating and I'm going to hunt you down. From this point on, I see it, you are immediately being reported to the respective authorities. I don't care to be held legally liable for your bad judgement and decision making. I want to make it perfectly clear that I will personally take action against anybody whom I see participating in discussion concerning such illegal things.

12. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

im sorry, but i cant figure out the tone of this message?

can you help me please, just wanna know if your serious, or just joking :worried:

13. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

I haven't spoken to Monolith yet, but the implication seems to be that he will also be liable as he is our host.. which, depending on the country where it was being investigated, is true to an extent.

Obviously as Monolith has quite a nice little business built in the background, of which we get our hosting, I'd be pretty annoyed too if there was any chance that would be jeopardised.

Looks like the point has been made and, most importantly, appreciated (thanks guys), I'll close this up for now. If you could all make sure that the word is spread to new members who decided to partake in it, that would neaten things up a treat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.