1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Watch aficionados in here...

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 3 Mar 2019.

1. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Honestly,I just feel that anything other than a metal strap is just 'not right', but I will fight to the death for my fellow watch wearers to have options!

I can appreciate that non metal straps can be more comfortable and also probably have other advantages, like not scratching everything that you lean on.

2. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Oh, and I think I found my dream watch (well, until a Spring Drive equivalent comes out):

[​IMG]

Not cheap though, to say the least.

ElThomsono likes this.
  3. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

My SKX007P8 has arrived!

Really impressed with the watch. Despite being probably the cheapest certified mechanical diver's watch available. The mechanical movement is hypnotising to watch - if I get a watch with a higher beat rate, I might end up watching it all day! It's smaller than I thought it'd be and can easily be worn under a tight cuff.

Downsides are a) no hacking; and b) a cheap strap. The no hacking thing (well, it can be back hacked) makes setting the time interesting, and in a way is actually more satisfying when you do manage to hit it as it takes a bit of skill. In regards to the strap, it at least has a second clasp, but it's done by push fit rather than release buttons and is held on the watch itself by formed sheet steel end links rather than machined, like on my SUN019P1. I might treat myself to a new strap if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Another thing I've found is that shifting the crown to the 4 O'clock position actually makes things worse in terms of hitting my wrist! Luckily, the watch is comparatively small and so doesn't have this issue, but it's made me rethink my crown position criteria. I'm going to research 2 O'clock crowns, or at least see if I can find one with a recessed crown.

4. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

....and I've found it!

Trtion Sport Subphotique
    [​IMG]

Not cheap though - Rolex pricing. Time to save the pennies.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

Wait until you're next drunk, it will appear to glide by at double the rate :lol:

6. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

So, my non-buying restraint as usual broke down in a matter of hours and I bought a new strap for the SKX007. At least the watch holds its value, if the internets is to be believed:

[​IMG]

Oh dear, I can actually picture myself watching it whilst struggling to sit upright :worried:

Also, whilst still searching for a diving watch that doesn't mark your wrist, I came across this:

Sinn Uhren: Modellreihe EZM 13
    [​IMG]
    There is a non chronograph version (i.e. the original version) and I usually steer clear of chronographs as I believe a watch should be clear and uncluttered, but the technical excellence of it has me intrigued.

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

That is a rather elegant watch, it looks great on the silicone strap but I'm not sure I could wear one.

Best order it fast though, they charge €50 shipping to EU countries, €120 all other countries :worried:

But do chronographs and dive watches go hand in hand? They seem at odds with each other. Can you even use the pushers underwater?

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

Tudor Pelagos LHD?

9. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

So, I've just ordered this:

Seiko Prospex SBDB015 LandMaster Spring Drive
    [​IMG]

Japanese domestic market only - getting it imported. It was a choice between it and the Seiko Prospex SBDB011 MarineMaster Spring Drive, which is basically the Spring Drive version of the Seiko saturation divers watch I posted above. In the end it came down to the fact that I really didn't want a crown on the right side. Going to miss not having a timing bezel (yes, I actually use it from time to time) and an adjustable strap for going over a wet/drysuit.. Ah well, it's not like I dive at the moment anyway.