1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Watch aficionados in here...

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 3 Mar 2019.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Honestly,I just feel that anything other than a metal strap is just 'not right', but I will fight to the death for my fellow watch wearers to have options!

I can appreciate that non metal straps can be more comfortable and also probably have other advantages, like not scratching everything that you lean on.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh, and I think I found my dream watch (well, until a Spring Drive equivalent comes out):

[​IMG]

Not cheap though, to say the least.

ElThomsono likes this.
  3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

My SKX007P8 has arrived!

Really impressed with the watch. Despite being probably the cheapest certified mechanical diver's watch available. The mechanical movement is hypnotising to watch - if I get a watch with a higher beat rate, I might end up watching it all day! It's smaller than I thought it'd be and can easily be worn under a tight cuff.

Downsides are a) no hacking; and b) a cheap strap. The no hacking thing (well, it can be back hacked) makes setting the time interesting, and in a way is actually more satisfying when you do manage to hit it as it takes a bit of skill. In regards to the strap, it at least has a second clasp, but it's done by push fit rather than release buttons and is held on the watch itself by formed sheet steel end links rather than machined, like on my SUN019P1. I might treat myself to a new strap if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Another thing I've found is that shifting the crown to the 4 O'clock position actually makes things worse in terms of hitting my wrist! Luckily, the watch is comparatively small and so doesn't have this issue, but it's made me rethink my crown position criteria. I'm going to research 2 O'clock crowns, or at least see if I can find one with a recessed crown.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

....and I've found it!

Trtion Sport Subphotique
    [​IMG]

Not cheap though - Rolex pricing. Time to save the pennies.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Wait until you're next drunk, it will appear to glide by at double the rate :lol:

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So, my non-buying restraint as usual broke down in a matter of hours and I bought a new strap for the SKX007. At least the watch holds its value, if the internets is to be believed:

[​IMG]

Oh dear, I can actually picture myself watching it whilst struggling to sit upright :worried:

Also, whilst still searching for a diving watch that doesn't mark your wrist, I came across this:

Sinn Uhren: Modellreihe EZM 13
    [​IMG]
    There is a non chronograph version (i.e. the original version) and I usually steer clear of chronographs as I believe a watch should be clear and uncluttered, but the technical excellence of it has me intrigued.

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That is a rather elegant watch, it looks great on the silicone strap but I'm not sure I could wear one.

Best order it fast though, they charge €50 shipping to EU countries, €120 all other countries :worried:

But do chronographs and dive watches go hand in hand? They seem at odds with each other. Can you even use the pushers underwater?

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Tudor Pelagos LHD?

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So, I've just ordered this:

Seiko Prospex SBDB015 LandMaster Spring Drive
    [​IMG]

Japanese domestic market only - getting it imported. It was a choice between it and the Seiko Prospex SBDB011 MarineMaster Spring Drive, which is basically the Spring Drive version of the Seiko saturation divers watch I posted above. In the end it came down to the fact that I really didn't want a crown on the right side. Going to miss not having a timing bezel (yes, I actually use it from time to time) and an adjustable strap for going over a wet/drysuit.. Ah well, it's not like I dive at the moment anyway.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I went to London at the weekend to visit a friend - saw Captain Marvell (meh), went to the National Portrait Gallery (cool) and the Science Museum (also cool). However, we started at Watches of Switzerland in Regent Street to see the Grand Seiko exhibition. Seeing them in the flesh is quite something - they have an understated engineering elegance. We looked at the Rolexes too, but they just looked too ostentatious to be honest. Anyways:

[​IMG]

No I didn't buy it! Felt lovely though.

11. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I own a couple Seiko quartz Analog watches, I used to like chronographs. Problem is I realized reading an analog dial is kinda silly and even a cheap digital watch has features like an alarm clock or a perpetual calendar that my quartz analog watches don't have. In the end, my daily wear is now a Casio GWM-5610. It's rugged as hell, it syncs to the atomic time signal so it's always accurate, it has 5 alarms a stop watch and a timer and it's a Swiss army knife compared to my quartz analog watches.

I want to enjoy analog watches again, but at this point I have fallen for digital watches. The worst part is there are just so few brands for digital watches, pretty much just Casio and Timex. I don't consider Apple or Android wear a watch, I consider those just a cell phone you strap to your wrist.

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

There's a lot to be said for a digital "tool watch", in terms of accuracy it's a foregone conclusion. But I can far more easily tell the time on an analogue, especially when I look at it and think "x minutes until" where the segments are more graphical than digital. I expect that if I'd stuck with digitals I might not feel that way and it's just what I'm used to?

13. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

In terms of accuracy, my Casio digitals might loose a second a week or maybe a second a month but I have never noticed any of my Seiko quartz analogs loosing any time. My quartz Seikos are just 7T92 movements, about $200 or less, not expensive quartz movements. That said, I can read an analog watch, but I feel like it still takes just a second to actually process the hand movement (mostly just to focus and make sure I'm looking at the right hand) but with a digital to me it's immediately right there, no half second of processing required.

But I would not wear my digital watch to an interview. For that, I think I need a nice silver Casio calculator watch.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I've had my SBDB015 a few days now! The import tax was ridiculous: let's just say I could've actually flown to Tokyo, picked up the watch, flown back and be a bit better off. Ho hum.

The watch is wonderful. The smooth movement is hypnotic and the dial has a steam punk but not quite look to it. The zaratsu polishing is tasteful.

The thing I like most about it is that to the casual observer, it's not an obviously expensive watch. The only thing people comment on is the crown at the 12 o'clock position. I have two or three colleagues who are also into watches and they noticed the smooth second hand sweep.

The luminous markings are extremely bright, to the point that in even daylight, they stand out.

Very, very happy!

trigger likes this.
  15. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Anyone know where to source a replacement strap for my Eco-Drive H500-S055148... to (comfortably) fit an 8½-9" wrist...?
    I've tried Amazon, but most don't seem to offer that kind of sizing.

I got mine for my 50th birthday & have never really been able to wear it, as the leather strap is too tight even on the last hole.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Insert 'extra long' into your search term.
    https://www.sectime.co.uk/index.php...page=advanced_search_result&search_in_model=1

I've used them for a long one with no bother, they give the strap dims so just add on the size of the watch to make sure they'll fit.

17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 10 May 2019
  18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Wow, that's a hell of a wrist you have . Glad you found a strap to suit!

Guest-44638 likes this.
  19. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

The one I got - took 2-3 days wearing it to break it in.
    My wedding ring had to be custom made, too - ZZ4 (Z+4...?) I think the size is

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Damn, I'm only a Z+2