1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Water Cooling my sig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TobletDanillio, 6 Apr 2012.

1. TobletDanillio

TobletDanillio Minimodder

I have updated this list now.

I have Xigmatek Elysium case. and this is what I'm cooling.
    Intel i7 2600k and MSI n560gtx-ti Twin frozr ii 2gb/oc

This is what I'm thinking currently

Radiator>> HWLabs GTX420 linky (£99.99)

Fan>> Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 x 3linky (£11.72)
    or
    Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120mm linky (£4.99) as they are 4db louder but 11 cfm more powerful

Pump >> EK DCP 4.0 800lph 12V Compact Pump Linky (£35.99)

Reservoirs >> Alphacool 5.25" Dual Drive Bay Repack Reservoir Rev.2 linky thinking of changing to something a bit better looking any ideas?

Waterblocks CPU>> XSPC RayStorm (intel) linky (£49.98)

Waterblocks GPU: Not sure atm

Fittings>> Monsoon 19/13mm (ID 1/2 OD 3/4) Free Center Compression Fitting Six Pack Black chrome linky (£31.19)
    or
    XSPC G1/4" to 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD Compression Fitting (Black Chrome) linky (£3.49*6=20.94)

Coolant>> distilled water. do I need Silver Kill Coil with this?

Thanks for your help guys

Last edited: 5 Jul 2012
  2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Tubing, which will decide which fittings you need is all down to personal preferance really, I went for 1/2" tubing as I like how thick it is, but that does mean it can be difficult to make tight bends, but that can be solved with some 90 degree and 45 degree fittings.

As for fittings you obviously have barbs, which I think look rubbish, and compression fittings, which although probably are not really safer than barbs, (in general if your diligent) to me they do look better, hence why I went with some of these for my watercooling build. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/bits...compression-fitting-cc5-for-id-1-2-od3-4-tube

Only problem is they are quite expensive, but the quality on them is A***

Good places to buy watercooling gear, Scan's pretty good, also specialtech and aquatunning are the best ones in my opinion.

3. TobletDanillio

so what size tubing is there?

love the look of the Bitspower but its more than i really want to spend on a piece like that as in the case its only going to be open when it needs a clean or top up lol

4. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Last edited: 7 Apr 2012
  5. TobletDanillio

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Not a big enough one as far as i know. but im guessing the 1/2" will cool better to some degree than the 3/8"

But considering the wide spread use of 3/8" now and not a hell of a lot of build logs i see using 1/2" im guessing that 3/8 is just as good.

7. TobletDanillio

ok cool thanks for the help

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Depends on flow/pressure ratio. I.E if you have a slow 400LPH pump, then it will be fine for 3/8" tubing. Put the same pump on 1/2" tubing and your results will be the same. Only when you start to use a Bigger/faster pump, will 3/8" become restricted by the flow, and therefore, you will see better temps using 1/2" tubing.

Another factor to consider is, how mush heat you are putting into the loop, to whether you have enough water in the loop to keep the thermal threshold, and not allowing the loop to boil over.

More water, and bigger radiators will yield great lower temps.

My watercooling setup is proof, as I can clock my processor to 5.4Ghz, which is LN2 territory.

If I was you, I would stick with 1/2" tubing, and a min 800LPH pump or more, will return you good results.

Fittings;
    Compression fittings is the way forward. So you will need 1/2" ID with 1/4" thread.

Coolant;
    I wouldn't bother with the overpriced UV water BS. I use normal tap water in my setup. (Only cause my water is so pure, and doesn't have lime scale). I have used many different coolants in the past, and tap water has given me the best results.
    If your tap water is not so pure, then I would look at getting Distilled/de-ionised water (Halfords/Tesco etc sell this).

Hope this helps, as I have spent a lot of money in the past on getting the best watercooling setup, which I have today. Been a lot of trial and error...:)

Cheers,

Simon.

9. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

Good post simon

I have a question,

If I get 65 degrees priming on my nh-d14, what would temps be on a wc setup like you described above? And how much would it cost?

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If you were to watercool both CPU and GPU with a Ambient room temp of 25C. Then I would expect your Idle temps will be ~27C, full load temps to be ~55C on the CPU, you may find it runs even cooler...and GPU Idle ~27C Full load ~50C.

This would be with a 360 Radiator and a 800LPH pump, with 3 Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000rpm fans on low.

So you would need;

360 Radiator
    800LPH Pump
    1.5m 1/2" tubing
    Dual bay Reservoir
    10 Compession fittings
    CPU water block
    GPU water block.
    2litres of Distilled water.

A rough figure would be ~£200

11. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

lol! my room temps never go above like 21 most of the time, so even lower!

how much cooler would it be if i was just cooling the cpu?

thats so tempting for just £200

problem is my case isnt big/good enough. the cosmos 2 however.... oh god. there goes my gtx 680 budget...

edit: just remembered there was a flaw in the cosmos 2 when it came to watercooling. cant remember what it was. something about the width of radiators

12. thetrashcanman

I doubt it would be anywhere near £200 mate, GPU blocks's are generally about £70, and a good CPU block is £50 or so, so that's £130 right there, I think you'd be looking at more likely figure of £300-£350

13. thetrashcanman

You can only fit a 50mm thick 360 rad in the roof with 1 set of fans :)

14. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

well, i wouldnt be cooling the gpu at this stage anyway. being the n00b i am, id start with just the cpu i think

15. thetrashcanman

tbh mate, if you can afford it at the time when you do the watercooling build I'd say (despite how scary it might seem) go for CPU and GPU, saves you having to take the waterloop apart at a later date when you want to add a GPU block, plus it looks awesome :D

I take it you'll be using the 1200? I did my first watercooling build in one, just moded the front drive bays a bit so she would take a 360 rad in the front and a 240 in the roof :D

16. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

yeah i might do both then, but i cant afford to buy wc stuff, and buy a 680. it needs to be one or the other for now, and then il move to wc later.

well, i didnt think the 1200 was very good for wc?

thats the thing with the 1200, it looks big when it arrives in the post, but you get used to it very quick. and now it feels very cramped! i think if i were to wc id get a bigger case first

17. TobletDanillio

ok so 1/2" tubing it is :)
    the min 800LPH pump where would i get this as a quick google didn't find me anything sorry :(

ok so Compression fittings whats the differences?

I will use de-ionised water as i have some kicking about. my water would kick me if it had leg its mean stuff.

that why I'm doing it i know it will cost me more as i need a new case and i will be going the extra mile but i just like the quite :)

18. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Compression fittings use 2 parts a barb and a locking ring. so you have a locking ring to secure the hose onto the barb.

Where as the alternative is to use just a barb which as it is has no way to hold the tubing on except the bits the stick out. typically people used to use clamps at this point to hold the tubing on just to be sure.

A set of 10x 3/8 fittings for instance on aquatuning will cost about £30

as for the difference between the different fittings im guessing it comes down to the quality of the fittings, how securely they hold the tubing in place etc too.

Bitspower are by far the best out there but at roughly £8 per fitting they will cost the same as a full cover GPU block to do a full system.

I would suggest the EK fittings as they are a well known name and from what i have found out they are great quality.

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

1x EK DCP 4.0 800lph 12V Compact Pump £38
    1x XSPC 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD (13-19mm) High Flex Tubing : Clear £3
    10x 1/4" Thread Compression Fitting for 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Tubing : Silver £3.3 x 10 £33
    1x Alphacool 5.25" Repack Dual Bayres : Clear £25
    1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 360mm Triple Radiator : Full Copper £42
    1x EK Supreme HF Easy Mount Universal CPU Waterblock : Copper Plexi £50
    3x Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 Case fan £6 x 3 £18
    1x HD4870 Waterblock £45

Total £254...For a newer GPU waterblock, I would add another £20.

That there will be a solid watercooling setup.:)

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Apr 2012
  20. TobletDanillio

10x 1/4" Thread Compression Fitting for 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Tubing : Silver £3.3 x 10 £33

where you find them at that price.

also

Alphacool 5.25" Repack Dual Bayres scan have it for £34