1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice water cooling or air?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DanSonley, 9 Feb 2012.

1. DanSonley

DanSonley What's a Dremel?

hey guys
    so i just ordered a i7 990x extreme and will probably get a asus sabertooth motherboard.
    I am not sure whether to get water cooling or air cooling.

I have never set up a water cooling loop before so would be my first time, I also have to transport my computer to and from uni accommodation and home a fair few times a year witch I think would require me to drain the loop every time.
    Air would be cheaper and more convenient, it would also take less effort but would not be as good cooling.
    Currently i am thinking about getting a dark rock BK014 cooler for it (air).

Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends how much hassle you're prepared to go through, how much you're prepared to spend and how much OC you want.

If you want all that - go water - if not and it'll piss you off - stay air.

I'm currently using water just because my GTX 480 is too loud without it, but I'll admit it's a PITA to change and keep clean (it's not). At the same time, I'm glad I've done it at least once (twice.. three times).

3. DanSonley

my budget for water cooling would probably be around the £130. I would over clock it to whatever i feel safe. will obviously be more on water cooling. i am finding its really dusty in my room at the moment because of construction work across the road with would be an added bonus of water.
    How long does it take to drain the loop? and refill it? also how easy is it to set up?

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

what case, fans, mobo and gfx(s) have you got?

5. IMtech

IMtech What's a Dremel?

Watercooling definitely! :)

6. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Out of curiosity, why did you order a 990X instead of a 3960X? Since it sounds like you didn't have a motherboard either, it would make more sense to me to get the 3960.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well you still need fans for cooling either way and there no guarantee of a better OC, it'll only run cooler than your average air cooler.

How easy depends on how complicated you make it ;) Start researching parts and WCing loop threads (WC forums are a good place to go too) then see what you decide on.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

£130 for a WC loop isn't a huge budget. Any high end air cooling will easily be enough for 4GHz, but beyond that it depends on the chip. I have a good chip (golden, in fact) and 4.5GHz is my limit on air cooling, giving me load temps of 85C in LinX, 12 threads.

Still much more expensive and not an enormous difference in preformance. You can get a 990X and X58 board for £650ish; a 3960X and board is pushing £1K.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Have a look at my thread (link in sig) for an idea of what watercooling entails...

10. The_Crapman

Corsair H100 with 4 120mm Enermax Apollish Silver Case Fan from Scan for £137.83 with free postage.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=186923

I presuming that with a build like that you'll have a case that can take 4 fans and a 240 rad in the roof. or front! :) plus you get the cooling loop in one handy pre-made loop with a warranty. if you have one fan in the front blowing in (or 2 if you can and don't mind buying an extra fan=£151.26) rad on the roof with 2 fans blowing out, one fan on rear blowing out.

Or, if you want to go all 'cray and unconvention', you could put it in the front and reverse the direction of the fans, rear and roof in, front out. might need a little:dremel: and possibly cause gfx heating issue though. dependant on cooler. then you might have to put a fan blowing in over your cards (£164.69) if your case can take one, or :dremel: it, especially if you're going sli.

all this really depends what case it is :confused:

11. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Gotta agree with the H100, got it on a friend's build with some crappy Antec TIM (Artic Cooling MX-4 on the way) and it's cooling his 3960x at 4.9Ghz at just over40c. Got the stock fans pulling with a single ThermalTake 200mm fan (~100cfm but great pressure) pushing on top of half the rad (case is a TT Chaser Mk-1, not the best rad mounting solution, I'm gonna introduce it to Mr. Dremel, but it's still doing really well.

12. The_Crapman

Does anyone know a good company/person for custom watercooling blocks?

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm sure they're out there, wont be cheap I expect though...

14. The_Crapman

No, i'm sure they won't be....:worried:
    Had an idea that could get my own made. just have to find a free cnc design package and get good! lol

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Google Sketchup works, but isn't so great for professional CAD design I think. I personally use Solid Edge, but thats only because I get the student version for free...

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Thermalright HR-02 Macho will outperform the lower end self contained watercoolers and isn't very far away from the Antec Kuhler 920 (5c) while being quieter and it costs around £40. Review can be found here. High end air cooling should not be discounted and a £100 to go towards a GPU is very handy.

17. DanSonley

if your a student you can check out autodesks range of free software for students.

18. DanSonley

i got a 990x rather than the 3960X simply because i got it really really cheep. simple answer. i was original looking at a 3930 but then a 990x popped up for stupidly cheep so i bought it.

19. DanSonley

i have a nzxt hades case witch has 2 140mm on top, 1 200mm on side (witch currently i am not using because it doesn't fit with most coolers, bad design but oh well), 1 120mm on rear and 1 200mm on front. With a asus direct cuII geforce gtx570 (tri slot) am hoping to get another some time in the future. The mother board will be an asus sarbertooth.

if i was to get water cooling i could go more so £150 isn't out the question, just didn't really see it worth it. am i incorrect on that?

also. is there a way to make multiple quote's in one post?

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The multiquote button. It looks like a - sign next to the quote button. Click it on the posts you want to quote than hit reply. :)