1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water cooling soon, What coolant to use?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Nofear220, 23 Aug 2010.

1. Nofear220

Nofear220 Duct tape is everyone's BFF

Hi all, I am going to watercool my cpu soon and I am wondering what is the best fluid to use for long lifespans and the least corrosion (if any). Now I was thinking about getting feser one fluid that is clear but uv blue. Although I have heard horror stories about these things (mostly the dyed fluid, not sure if its the same with clear yet uv reactive).

Stuff like this can happen after a very short period of time apparently one month

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Keep in mind this guy was running the loop crunching 24/7 (60C load all day and night) as he said.

Although I have also heard horror stories of even distilled water with silver coils creating grimey build ups like this.

[​IMG]

he said that he left that for a little over a year though.

Now, I dont want my first watercooling project to turn out anything like either of these. I was wondering if an expert could reccomend me cooling fluid that I only have to replace AT MOST every 6 months (preferably every year or a little less). Again I am only cooling my cpu (i7 920 d0) and will be running it @ 4.0-4.2Ghz all the time but I put the computer to sleep mode every night. I dont want to use distilled water because of the conductivity, but I dont know what pre mixed non-conductive (well I guess I should say low-conductive) fluid is good for my application. Can anyone help me out?

And please do not try to change my mind about distilled water, I only want to use non-conductive fluid.

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

There is no such thing as non-conductive fluid (that I know of). I used Feser One because it was supposed to be non-conductive (and yes, it did save me once when I dropped some on a GPU - wiped it off and kept going) but just recently, I killed a $450 RAID card because a rotary fitting leaked Feser One on it.

There are no guarantees.

3. Nofear220

I know there isnt any non-conductive fluid but I did say low conductive in the brackets.

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

So what's the point?

I'm reluctant to draw this out because you did say that you don't want to be convinced to go distilled+silver.

Like I said, I've used Feser One, it didn't gunk up anything in my loop and I ran it for exactly six months before changing it out for distilled. It was orange, btw.

5. Nofear220

hm, maybe it was the constant high load and heat that that guy was running it on made it gunk up. Yes it did kill your raid card but you also saved your gpu by using it. Still, I need more opinions to come to a final decision.

6. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

We would not recommend using feser 1 in any way, shape or form.

Primochill coolant is great for entry level stuff but if you are serious about your system use Fluid XP:rock:

7. Nofear220

So do you think primochill PC Ice would be a good reliable coolant?

Also whats so good about Fluid XP? other than the 3x price tag

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

It's 3x as awesome?

I don't know tbh, I've used Primochill PC Pure (or whatever it is) in one rig, and will be in my new one.

My advice? Go with clear fluid, all the time. I had this after I drained my loop of feser, which was in there for all of a week (GPU died, drained loop and refilled with PC Ice):

[​IMG]

9. Nofear220

I have heard good things about primochill pc ice from other forums too, that it keeps its low conductivity well even after months and also doesnt clog. It seems like the way to go.

10. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

Feser One sucks!

Apogee GTZ after 18 months with Feser One

[​IMG]