1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Water cooling temperature?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Shielder, 29 Jul 2015.

1. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Hi all,

My company has just shelled out on a new workstation for me (specs below) and I'm wondering if there might be something wrong. I use the system for Monte Carlo simulations and I've been using all 16 threads that are available. Now, hwmon under CentOS is reporting that the CPU is sitting at 80 degrees, but only 3.2GHz (it was overclocked at 4GHz) Is the CPU throttling cos of the temp?

Is the CPU throttling and should I look at the water cooler fans to see if they are spinning quickly. I've put my hand over the radiator outlet, and all I feel is radiated heat, but no discernible airflow. Could the fans be running in slow mode?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Andy

Important specs:
    i7-5680X (overclocked to 4GHz)
    Asus X99-A(USB 3.1)
    32GB RAM (2400MHz)
    Corsair H100i GT cooler
    Noctua side fan blowing in (sounds noisy, but that's another issue)
    CentOS 7.1

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I have a distinct lack of knowledge of Linux so am assuming that the version of hwmon you're using is capable of reporting i7 5680X temperatures and clock speed accurately when the system is under load.

The radiator shouldn't really feel hot so increasing the fan speed is the first thing I'd do and if that doesn't make much of a difference then I'd check the pump/block has been mounted properly and with the correct application of thermal paste on the CPU.

With a TCase of 79ºC I'd want to have this checked out properly before using under load for any length of time.

If this is a custom build system I'd be directing your questions to the supplier initially.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

There is software which accompanies the h100i which at a glance appears to control how the fans and pump runs. Naturally its a windows only application, because yay for closed source and non portability.

Anyway a quick google and it seems someone has hacked together some sort of a driver for it so you could have a look for that. I think its USB based so you could run a windows VM on your machine, install the corsair link software on it and pass the usb device to the VM. If you do find that this is your problem, I would try and get the OEM to switch it out for something else that you can use with a fan controller or something like that.

You can wire the fans directly to a molex connector also. This will by pass the control where they are plugged into the pump/waterblock and run them on max. But really I would get the OEM to do this work.

All that being said. If you are thrashing 16 threads continuously, it may just not be able to handle that sort of load. Hopefully someone will chime in with a similar setup.

Also, cool job. Are you working on radio therapy?

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Your CPU is reporting that it is at 3.2GHz because that's what it is at stock when all cores are loaded and when using turbo (as far as I know). Most software does NOT read this correctly - so it can be safely ignored. Download CPUZ instead, as that is far more reliable for frequencies.

Also, it's a 5960X, not a 5680X. :D

5. Digerati

Digerati Member

Where is your radiator getting its supply of cool air? If not directly from the room, the case must still provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case.

Water cooled systems can leak too. While the liquid coolant in your electronics is one thing, it results in air bubbles in the system that greatly degrades cooling efficiencies.

6. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Thanks for the replies guys. Big oops on the Processor number.

Looks like the temps are being reported correctly but the processor frequency isn't. The overclock is reported correctly in the BIOS and the speed up I'm getting when running on 1-8 cores looks fairly good (7.5x single thread performance), hyperthreading, not too good (16 threads only results in a speed up of 9.5x single thread performance).

The radiator is getting the air from the inside of the case, which has a 120mm front intake, 120mm rear exhaust, 140mm side intake and 2x120mm fans on the radiator. The temperature doesn't change depending on whether I have the side fan on or off or whether I have the side of the case open or not.

thanks for the help guys. It's my first experience with water cooling, so I didn't know quite what to expect.

Andy

7. Digerati

Digerati Member

Well as a computer tech, I am not a fan (no pun intended) of water cooling because it requires more routine maintenance - or at least more routine inspections to ensure there are no leaks, cracks in hoses, loose fittings, etc. And sadly, what tends to happen with many alternative cooling implementers is once the novelty and newness wears off, so does the frequency of these inspections. So as the system ages and hoses harden and the need for regular inspections increase, they tend to decrease. :( And that's when leaks can occur and of course water and electronics don't mix. But also, as air gets in the system, if not properly treated, some really nasty mold can form too. :eeek:

So for as long as you own this system, I recommend you open the case and carefully inspect everything at least once a month.

8. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Active Member

This may be of interest:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/february/i7-5960x_underwater

Looks like the H100i tops out with an OC 5960x. I know its at 4.4, but they were also using push/pull fan setup. So your temps of 80 degC seem about right with this setup. Bugger.

And although Digerati has some good maintenance advice, don't be put off, its not that bad :D

9. Digerati

Digerati Member

I agree. But it is important to note it is not a set and forget thing either and as long as everyone understands the requirements and consequences, I say go for it. That's how you learn.