1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling water cooling tips?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xrain, 27 Jan 2004.

1. xrain

xrain Minimodder

I must admit i am new to the water cooling thing and im wondering what would be the best system to get. also some tips would be cool too thanx.
    -
    -
    --keep moddin :dremel:--

2. olv

olv he's so bright

You need to provide much more info:

1)what are you aims? overclocking/silence/looks/comination?

2)What are you wanting to cool? cpu/gfx/nb/hdd/psu...AMD/Intel/nvidia/ati.... etc

3)How much are you looking to spend?

3. xrain

xrain Minimodder

sorry for the lack of info
    im not completely sure i will beable to do it but, im plannin to cool the hdd,cpu, memory (if exsistant), the powersupply (if existant) and the grafix, it will be an intel p4 prossesor,im (hopeing) for a radion 9800 xt , and im going for overclocking and looks
    thanx :D
    -
    -xrain-

4. H2gO Flasher

H2gO Flasher What's a Dremel?

Fact :No thermal gain what so ever from cooling your memory chipset or sticks let alone H2O :nono:
    have you seen the dude who water cooled his peltiered DDR RAM
    strange how it ever caugh on I though

might add alittle WoW factor to those less informed however

You may like to consider starting with H2O CPU then overclock that first before progress to H2O GPU & NB etc

:sigh:

5. Darv

Darv Bling!!

As your in America I imagine you will want to go for a 1/2" setup. It will give you the best performance but IMHO doesnt look as tidy.

Memory cooling is a waste of time so I would forget that. PSU cooling is very expensive and there won't be much choice. (especially in 1/2 flavour) HDD coolers as far as I know only come in 3/8 and they aren't needed. As long as you have soem airflow goign across them you will be fine. NB cooling can be handled by a Zalman heatsink unless you are going for the extreme FSB's.

Now if you want something quiet then you might want to look down the 3/8 path because you will be able to cool more parts of the computer. The down side is they don't have the highest performance.

If you only want overclocks then 1/2 is the way to go. Google for Danger Den, White Water blocks.

You really need to decide exactly what you want form the setup and then you need to do lots of research into it. Water cooling isn't something I would suggest rushing into.

6. olv

olv he's so bright

3/8th not performing aswell as 1/2" is complete rubbish. Bigz rig uses aquacomputer stuff throughout from www.wizd.co.uk which uses 3/8th OD tubing so even smaller ID side. He has his new 2800+ running at close to 2.6ghz at over 2volts and sustains just over 40degrees C load temps iirc (i know the temp doesn't mean much but its gives an estimate). I would also guess his rig is a damn site quieter then a lot of 1/2" systems that give the same performance.

But quality 1/2" stuff is probably more readily available in the USA. both systems work well, just need to make sure you match your components well. Have a browse through the gallery (sticky at the top of this forum) and see what you like.

7. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Well 3/8" is a good performer but if you wanted the most extreme overclocking from watercooling then you would want to go for a 1/2 system like Cathars rig. But I have to agree a 3/8 setup will be much quieter than a 1/2 setup giving the same performance.

I personaly think 1/2 setups take up too much space, are loud and don't look nearly as good.

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Why does the bore of the tubing and parts affect the noise level?

9. Risky

Risky Modder

Because you will be using a bigger pump with them as they are designed for higher flow rates.

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Ah. So it means the system as a whole makes more noise. Gotcha. Cheers!

Incidentally, how noisy are modest pumps such as the Hydor L20 or the Eheim 1048? Any recommendations for quiet ones? For me being silent and looking cool are the only reasons to watercool - don't really need to OC, though I'm sure I'd have a dabble if I were to invest in watercooling goodness :D

11. Risky

Risky Modder

You can overclock even with smaller bore systems such as Aquacomputer, Innovatek, Waterchill, Xice and you find the kit easier to setup as they tend to use pushfit :thumb: or compression fittings. As for the noise, these pumps are quiet, particularly if you isolate them from the front of the case. I had rather dodgy, second hand L20 and it is silent after submerged it:

[​IMG]
    (details)

Also have a look at these bit-tech reviews:
    http://bit-tech.net/review/273/
    http://bit-tech.net/review/244/

Tags: