1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Water Cooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Houck, 24 Nov 2006.

1. Houck

Houck New Member

I use fans, and they make alot of noise. Someone told me about water cooling. What doesn't make much noise, but is it dangerious. Water + Computer = need new computer. I am a n00b at computer building. I can build a computer, but I need more knowledge, I'm only 15 and I want to become a compuer techy :D

2. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

if i was you i would keep away from water cooling as now there are a lot of really good air colling (heatsink) you just ned to find the right one and get some good air flow.

water cooling cost a lot more than air :hip:
    and yes water on computers is not good but its ok unless a pipe leaks :duh: which they can if your not a great modder watercooler :dremel:

so unless you have lots and lots of money so you can get a nother computer every time something goes wrong keep air cooling.

ps hello to the forum, have fun and lern what you can

3. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

You're at the right place to gain more knowledge, the question is will it be relevant knowledge?
    In the real world a "techy" will never run into a watercooled PC (at least not often enough to be statistically noticable) and only rarely will you be called upon to do any sort of interesting modification.

This is not to say it's not worth learning about this stuff- it is fun and in a general sense, learning to define a problem (in this case, cooling) and then achieving a solution is valuable experience- but don't kid yourself...knowing how to install a waterloop won't lead to fame or fortune unless you are extrordinarily lucky.

4. angus closier

angus closier New Member

hi m8t i am only 14 and i am an all round techy (sound recording edditing, stage lighting, mobile djing, computer techy etc all these things)

sum1 said stay away from water cooling but i tink if you want to you should have a go at it as it is a little challenge for you or yer if you want to save money or just want a simple answer just use fans etc... up 2 u :thumb:

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hi Angus,

I appreciate your age but you have a full keyboard in front of you as well as ten fingers of which to type with. If you could abuse the English language a little less it would save a fair few of us having to crack out the "txtspk 2 English" dictionary to translate your posts.

Thanks.

6. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

My opinion is that one shouldn't tamper with water cooling unless they are a)fully educated as to what they are doing, and b)prepared to lose and replace their entire system if a catastrophic failure/rupture/etc occurs.

One doesn't gamble unless they know the game and are prepared to lose the bet. Even if the odds are 1000 to 1 that everything will go alright, the possibility still exists.

$50-$60 should be enough to silence any case via air cooling.

7. Boswell

Boswell Active Member

And the odds are based on skill rather than luck (e.g. 999 people that are skilled will be ok... 1 person who isn't skilled has a massive problem and therefore sways the odds and gives watercooling its reputation of it being "dangerous").
    I find that if you want to go through the hassle of building a computer with water cooling, you have to have a reason behind it. My reason was to get a big overclock while keeping the noise levels down.
    If and when any problems happen when building (e.g. money running out, getting the wrong sized barbs - therefore having to wait longer until completion etc.) you are lessed stressed and even more determined to finish it than you if you don't have a reason to build apart from "hearing that it is quieter". If you are in the latter group of people you might give up - therefore having wasted probably a good amount of money, or "just go to hell with the wrong sized barbs" and end up breaking your computer anyway because the tubes weren't properly fixed on (..for example).

In my opinion you should build a computer first without water cooling! You don't need water cooling to become a computer techy!

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

At most. All you need is a modern mobo with fan control built in, or a decent set of 5/7/9V'ing stuff, like the Zalman Fanmates, or the simple resistor arrangements...

9. Stuey

Well, I figured $50 allows one to slap on a passive northbridge cooler, a Zalman CPU cooler, silent case fans, and possibly a quiet VGA cooler if the stock CPU cooler is used.

10. n00btard

n00btard Go away

waht ar yuo saiyng abuot tiins whu mak speeling mistaks Or Dnt yooz Vwls?

Sometimes, I wonder if some teenagers are lazy enough to not have the motivation necessary to make a few extra keystrokes to type out a legible sentence...

Also, I don't understand how building a computer can be so hard, one would have to be extrordinarily stupid to not be capable of it. Even simpler than a jig-saw puzzle.

ON TOPIC: Water-cooling isn't something to be taken lightly, a lot of research must be done before actually applying it to your own computer, and water on a $600 video card isn't exactly a pleasant thought if done improperly :blah:

11. Stuey

Building a computer is not hard but it's so easy to screw up. Plug in the wrong case connectors to the wrong mobo header pins and ZAP.

There's also a lot of things that can go wrong. With my last build, I built it, took it apart, rebuilt it, took it apart, and then rebuilt it again all in one night before I realized that the USB keyboard and mouse were the culprits. I had an optical drive that would not work no matter what. It turns out that the black faceplate they supply is not the same exact shape as the white faceplate and the result is that the eject button is always being pressed. It took two drives, a few hours on the forums, and some brainstorming to figure it out.

Too many variables = easy jigsaw task made difficult.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Well, I am 15 and willing to watercool, this is only after a) very much research! I've spent months reading and planning and now feel confident that this Christmas I will give unto me and take the plunge. b) very much patience! This is what everyone says and would be good to follow. Leak test outside of your case if at all possible, or install the WC then test, then install the computer components. c) don't be cocky about it. If the connection feels snug, put on a clamp anyway. And as Stuey said, one variable at a time.

13. chimera14

chimera14 New Member

hey mate im pretty much the same as you 15 trying to be a tech at the computer store and currently about to try my hand at watercooling last month i have purchased a themaltake bigwater 735 and go from there im not going to mod it too much other than t line and maybe a glass coke bottle res (yet to get advice on how and practicality) the only thing stopping me as time atm due to xmas holiday work but i have purchased on new coolermaster centurion so i can mount the rad on the back as it has a 12cm fan but atm the main thing for me is to keep it simple and the themaltake kit i purchased has nice connection which is also a dreat thing to make shure theres no leaks then maybe i will upgrade and mod as my confidence grows.

Try punctuation. As in:

Hey mate, I'm pretty much the same as you: 15 trying to be a tech at the computer store and currently about to try my hand at watercooling. Last month I purchased a themaltake bigwater 735 and went from there. I'm not going to mod it too much other than a t line and maybe a glass coke bottle res (yet to get advice on how and practicality). The only thing stopping me is time atm, due to xmas holiday work.

But I have purchased a new coolermaster centurion so I can mount the rad on the back as it has a 12cm fan, but atm the main thing for me is to keep it simple. The themaltake kit I purchased has nice connections which is also a great thing to make sure that there are no leaks. Then maybe I will upgrade and mod as my confidence grows.

--Nexxo

Thanks for editing my thread, i thought it was up to standard but obviously not although my spelling is terrible, I would have prefered you to pm me if you had any real problems about the punctuation of my posts. Oh and not too be rude but this is a watercooling thread not about spelling or grammer,so is there another place to argue about this?

Last edited: 18 Dec 2006
  14. malccy72

malccy72 Member

Don't understand why people buy these cheap nasty kits such as Thermaltakes; if spent a little more money (or just buy second hand) could buy sensible parts or even kit (such as a Swiftech).

With buying individual parts you can custom to your liking and will require little changing when moving to another socket etc.

15. Stuey

It's cheaper and an easy way to get into WCing. He's 15 and for his purposes, his purchase is appropriate. I don't see why people have to go on knocking the purchases people have already made. What purpose can that serve other than to make people feel bad?

While I wouldn't ever buy that unit myself (I'm a very picky person), there are people that I'd recommend it to.

16. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 New Member

i def 2 lzy to mak a fw mo kystroks...
    back to topic.

i tried watercooling, i bought a crap set just to try and well, the crap set ferformed like.... crap. still beter than stock aircooling though.
    in depth:
    i got the kingwin artic water cooling off newegg.
    when it arrived, when i was filling the res, water ended up on the botom of my case, it turned out that the res had a leak. i had to dissasemple the res housing and i found that the lcd on the housing was no longer usable. then u had to find the crack in the res and fix it with silicone(very messy). then while setting the system up, i found that the lga 775 clips thingies were defective. so i made my own and that was very annoying. i proceded to install the vid card block. it installed, it was loose, still worked though. when i turned it on, i found that it was LOUD!!!!!!!! i nearly turned emo.

so the lesson is unless u overclock a LOT, then stick with aircooling. if you buy watercooling, get a good kit(dd, swiftech, ....) NOT kingwin.

btw, both my zalman vf7700 and sythe infinity are better than the kingwin wcing kit i had.

some tips for good aircooling:
    cpu: scythe ninja/infinity or zalman or thermalright ultra 120
    nb: thermalright Hr-05
    fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185004
    or some other quiet fans
    case:antec p180
    hdd: scythe hdd silencer
    psu: seasonic or tagan
    gpu:zalman vf700alcu or something like this
    arctic silencer/accelero also good

stick in a few higher cfm fans if you want, but make on-off switches for them

use sound dampaning matting for bragging rights

if you really want wcing, try http://www.crazypc.com/products/9370.html
    or http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=183&cat=2&page=1
    or something of the like

17. angus closier

angus closier New Member

ok i will use the full enlish vocab if i can (not very good at spelling) and i am also very used to texting people so sorry for that!.
    all good points about the water cooling but yer ok lets put it this way if you never try things e.g. water cooling then you will never know how to do it + every1 makes mistakes and as they say you learn from your mistakes
    Angus

18. chimera14

chimera14 New Member

I bought my "cheap nasty kit" because as i said before i have never done watercooling and i paid $100aud for it. If i did want to mod and upgrade ill do it later when i have a better understanding.

Tags: