1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Water sounds different when hot

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 22 Nov 2017.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

lol. I live in a council estate I'm as far as can be from that. Before that i lived in an area constantly being locked down by armed police. To be fair the council are putting in mixer taps now into homes when they do their refits. All homes except mine. I've got a mixer in my kitchen but not bathroom sink.

2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well, that certainly seems like something I would not be comfortable showering with. I did not even know something like this existed.
    Seems to me you might as well just bring along a toaster, or a hairdryer.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

They're pretty common, many households have them.

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Related to the first post, a kettle boiling water will quite just prior to reaching a full boil. I don't know why but would guess that it has to do with the large energy transfer that occurs as water goes through a phase change.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

We have 2, no one has died, although one did go faulty to the extent you got a nice tingle down your body if you touched the metal hose whilst showering.

6. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Mixer taps aren't installed in most old houses because the cold was usually mains pressure and the hot was tank pressure. By using a mixer you will push cold water back up the hot. All new houses these days have a regulated cold and hot distro so mixers are ok :thumb:

As for hot water making a diffenernt noise - I'm sure I've noticed but I've never really thought about it, Interesting stuff - will be listening to hot water from now on :lol:

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Actually, that only applies to the kitchen. In the bathroom you don't/didn't get mixer taps because the cold water comes from the water tank commonly found in the loft. Because these tanks are open (they have loose-fitting lids, they're not sealed like the hot water tank), they're open to contamination from whatever happens to be in the loft (which could, potentially, include things like mouse/rat/bird droppings). A mixer tap would allow this contaminated water to mix with the hot water and possibly make its way back to the nice warm hot water tank and allow any bugs to breed like the nasty things that they are. If you want mixer taps in an older bathroom, best to make sure you fit non return valves :D

It's also the reason why it's not a good idea to drink water from the tap in the bathroom if you've got a cold water tank ;) - I grew up in a house with a water tank, and even now with a modern house with mains pressure throughout, it still feels weird drinking from the bathroom tap.

cobalt6700 likes this.
  8. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Huh, well there you go. Thanks Fibble :thumb: