1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Waterblock Design

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geek1017, 7 Mar 2003.

1. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

I was unhappy with the performance and small hose size of my old Koolance 100W block.
    I'm finally getting the materials together to build my own waterblock.
    I don't have any thick bar stock to mill it from so I am thinking of layering 1/8 inch copper plate.
    The best part is that I am getting most of the materials for free. All it will cost me is a few bucks in solder and my time.
    I need to know what you guys think. Will a Spiral-like block built up of layers of copper work? Or should I just lay out the cash to D-tek?

2. kong

kong cnc-guy

Spiral like? not sure i know what you mean. You could always solder a couple of pieces together to make some thicker stock, then machine it as if it were one block.

3. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Does anyone think it would be possible to clamp several thin sheets of copper together, some with cutouts, making chambers, without the whole thing leaking without a sieve.

Can you buy pretinned copper sheet.

8-ball

4. kong

kong cnc-guy

8-Ball, you serious? It's just I don't think I've known you to ask a question before!
    Seriously though, if you are clamping using gaskets, then there will be more of a risk, the more layers you add. If you can solder, you will be fine. And as for the pre-tinned sheet, come on, it ain't that hard to tin copper! Get yourself some plumbers flux, it contains acid and will eat through any grime on your copper. just get the copper hot-hot first, then use a paper towel to wipe on the flux, remove the heat, rub on your solder and it will stick. The other trick, if you don;t have a blow torch, is bung the copper in the oven.
    Anyway Geek, if the spiral plan is similar to 8-balls, sounds good.

Tags: