1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercool or not GTX1070?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by AT0MAC, 22 Dec 2017.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I have a Zotac Amp Extreme 1070 card and its one massive beast!

Im planning to rebuild my gaming system in 2018 with water cooling in mind, but I dont know if it would make any sense.

Lets say I buy the GPU block in January, that thing is massively expensive because its only a very specific bitspower model that fits for this exact card.

Lets say I then by May have assembled the rest of the pieces and can build the actual loop, because money is a little bit of an issue and time to building it too (I have some holiday in May)

Would that make sense or would it make a ton more sense to sell the 1070 and buy an already water block equipt 1070ti or 1080 in May at the time of actually building?

The card I have now at hand is real awesome, I only play at 1080p but high refresh rate (my monitor is 144hz) so I dont need more power for the next long time to run ultra settings in any game.

I just think ahead, in 6 months time things might look different and a 1070 will by then only be a mid-range card instead of the lower part of high-end its in now.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It makes no sense to block these cards unless you're doing it purely for aesthetics. Don't waste your cash on it. I was debating it for my 1080... until I saw that the block for my card is anywhere from $130 to $180! Mine already runs damned fast on the air cooler, and barely scratches 65c in prolonged gaming sessions.

AT0MAC likes this.
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

All depends on the performance underload, my 1080s need too much fan speed when gaming to maintain good clocks and good noise, with time clockspeeds would drop back to 1.5Ghz, under water it'll run 2Ghz all day, of course the cost element is not insignificant and a card from the next model up could be bought, but if it heat throttles too would it be any better?

4. TheMadDutchDude

Seriously? That's impressive that you can get it to throttle that much. Mine doesn't go below 2080 MHz in games after hours and hours. It doesn't even go over 65c when mining... have you got a FE card?

The Zotac definitely won't benefit from it... likewise with my STRIX.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes I have a TI FE card, not sure what the other is evga? and fairly high ambient temps due to small room, no matter how you cool a`few hundred watts has to dissipate somewhere.

6. TheMadDutchDude

That's exactly why it throttles, then. You have a puny cooler on a hot card. ;)

7. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

well maybe thats why there is basically only 1 gpu block that fits my card - because its a waste of time and money.

it already have a kick-a** fan that is whisper quiet, so no need to chance anything really, thanks m8s.

8. TheMadDutchDude

That's the one... these custom cards usually don't get a whole lot of support unless they're large manufacturers such as ASUS/MSI etc. as they have to be tailored to fit that exact card. :)

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think watercooling has to be taken into consideration when purchasing the hardware unless you like a bit of a gamble. The reason I got my cheesecake 970 was because it fitted a block I liked, rather than getting a card then finding a block.

10. TheMadDutchDude

It depends if you want the block, though. For the sake of the cost here, it won't give him anywhere near the value of $150 (for arguments sake) compared to getting a 1070 Ti/1080 instead. His card will stay cool enough and will not benefit from a water block.

You guys, come on. I thought we were better than this. XD

11. AML_customs_pc

AML_customs_pc Minimodder

I would just save the money, or use it for other things like new case or custom cables.

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It doesn't have to be for performance though, I certainly didn't mention it. It could be for quietness or even purely aesthetics. I mean come on, I thought you were better than that...