1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Watercooled Server Build - Best Quick Release Connectors ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buck_Rogers25, 6 Jul 2011.

1. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I have a quick question for everyone. I've run into a snag on a build I'm working on, and wanted to ask for some advice.

Little background. I'm building a new server and decided to passive watercool it using an Aquacomputer 1800 rad that's been sitting in a garage for ages. In the old setup I had it in I used it nasty plywood chassis I threw together, see below. Yer it looked ugly, but it was completely silent, the HDs were noisier than the PSU fan :).

[​IMG]

I've whipped up a stand alone frame for it since it's too large for anything else. I had considered using a second coolermaster cosmos so that the server and rad unit were the same, purely for looks, but couldn't justify the extra cost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the frame has some quick disconnect attached to the rear hoses, but the flow constriction is appaling. To make matters worse, the aquacomputer res there is 1/4" threaded so yet more flow constriction there. I've switched the laing d5 pump I was using for an old eheim 1250 and that has improved things, but not enough. I'm still bleeding it at the moment, but I'm not holding out hope.

My next step is to switch the pump for a 1260, with more flow and a better head height, and the res for an EK tube res with 1/2" threads. But the last remaining thing I want to switch is the quick disconnects. What I'm having trouble with is finding some genuine 1/2" ID quick disconnect fittings. The best I've found are these, male coupling and female coupling. I'm still not convinced, but these are 12.7mm which is as close to a 13mm(1/2") fittings as I can find.

Obviously this is a bit of a strange setup, and one with a lot more head height requirement than most setups. I just wanted to get everyones opinion really before I move on. To make matters worse my main rig died on me a couple of days ago, so I'm now really on the clock to finish this so I can get round to rebuilding that to. It never rains but it pours.

Last pics, the server itself. Made one addition since I took this pic, added an Areca 1220 raid controller for the 8 2tb drives to run in RAID6, was going to go with raid 5 using the GA-X58-UD5 but I just can't bring myself to risk an array loss under RAID 5 with this many drives.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Weird that they're not the exact size but close enough it should work fine, might have to use clamps. I've only ever looked at the Koolance ones, which do come in standard sizes but they're like 3 times the price lol.

3. Buck_Rogers25

Aye the aquacomputer ones are pricy aswell. I jubilee clip everything and ptfe tape all my barbs and connectors as standard anyway.

I've finished bleeding it now, think I'm going to attempt a test run and see what results I get. I have an aquareo 5 with flow sensor and 2 inline temp sensors so I will see what results I get and then make a decision on replacing the fittings. If that's not enough then i'll do the pump and if that's still not enough i'll do the res. Thought I might make one actually, still have some plexi tubes from another project.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

There's a review of quick disconnects and the effects on performance at http://skinneelabs.com/quick-disconnect-roundup/

Edit: changing the size of the fittings/tubing will have little effect on performance. I'm also surprised you had worse performance with a D5. Have you check the blocks for gunge?

5. Buck_Rogers25

Thanks Elf, that's a really good site there. Not come across it before, must give it a bit more of a thorough read. Those CPC ones in the review look almost the same, and after checking on their site the only difference is the bulkhead fitting. Going to dig around and see what stock I can find.

The blocks are all brand new so there should be no gunk in them at all. EK Supreme for CPU, acetial top, can't see any gunk, same for the NB/SB block. The Mosfet blocks are a simple two channel design inside, again EK blocks, and the only change I had to make was to add an extra copper plate to the base for mounting on the board, long story. So in theory there should be no flow constriction or gunk through the blocks.

The right angle connectors could make some difference to flow, but it would on the order of a few percent rather than anything more.

About to get started hooking it all up for a first run, will check in later.

6. Buck_Rogers25

Bit of a late update on this, it's not been a great few days.

Well the eheim worked fine in the end, temps sitting around 49 with a reasonable load. BUT, the bloody thing obviously hasn't aged well cause it now vibrates so much I can hear it through two closed doors and the wall, and the floor when downstairs.

Needless to say, out came the Eheim *sighs*. I put a Laing D5 back in, hoping it would be enough with the hoses moved into the new arrangement, and so far seems to be ok. Just about finished bleeding it and should be testing again this afternoon.

I'm not sure how much difference those 1/4" ID quick disconnects really make after all this, sure it will have an effect on flow, but I suspect it will only affect temps by a degree or two, and I can live with that :).

Last edited: 12 Jul 2011
  7. Buck_Rogers25

Late update again, had some problems getting 2008 R2 to install due to some driver issues, but got there in the end. Also required one or two voltage tweaks oddly.

Well all seems to be working well so far *crosses fingers*. And thanks to a genius idea of using half a milk carton in the resevoir I resolved a bleeding issue I was having, ghetto modding at it's best :).

Right now it's sitting at a solid 50C but I've yet to really load it, I suspect it will peak 60 to 65 when I do. That's a little too warm for me so I suspect I will have to end up rigging one or two 240mm fans to the radiator, not what I wanted to do but I'll just have to see how it pans out. Showing a water in temp of 38C and out temp of 40C at the moment, be good to drop that in temp by a degree or two if I can.

The flow doesn't seem to be an issue, I actually broke out some old thermodynamics equations I had in a notebook yesterday and it looks to be almost right for absorption with this flow. Having said that it's still a guesstimate, realised when I went to hook up the aquaero 5 that they'd thrown in the wrong connector for the flow sensor *sighs*, so will have to wait until a new cable arrives before I can tell for sure.

Probably won't have time tomorrow but I will try and throw up some pics and more info on Sunday or Monday and maybe make another thread with a full account of the build.