1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Watercooling a 5970

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 11 Aug 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Right, after umming and erring my way through various setups and builds, I've decided that I'd try a sort of hybrid watercooling setup.

My idea is to get hold of the upcoming Corsair 600T case, then fit a H70 as the CPU cooler, and use the rad mount at the top of the case to fit a 120.2 radiator there and use it to cool my 5970.

What do you guys think? Is a 120.2 overkill for a graphics card? Should I use a 120.1 for the card and perhaps move to a 120.2 for the CPU?

This is my first watercooling build, so I am a bit nervous about running two loops for both the CPU and graphics card.

I was thinking if I use the H70 for the CPU, I can focus my time on the 5970 with something like the XSPC RX240. Is that overkill perhaps? Or do you think I should get a 120.2 and a 120.1 and make a dual-loop build? I was thinking the H70 kind of does that ;)

Thoughts are welcome.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2010
  2. matt...

matt... Slacker

I don;t have any experience of the H70 but I would personallu chuck them both in a single loop - possibly with 2 rads if needed..

Mu current rig has both my Q6600 and GTX285 on a single loop being cooled by a 1x360 and 1x240 with a single pump and res. Its worth noting that the pumps add a small amount of heat into the system so having more loops isn't always a plus (of course for pimp appeal that statement isn;t always true either)

Try asking Nitrix in the aquatuning forum (amongst others of course) his opinion - he's always given me sound advice :)

3. Phalanx

I did try asking there once before, and even e-mailed AquaTuning. AT told me to ask in the forum, and when I asked in the forum, noone from AT gave me any advice :( Otherwise I would probably have bought the parts from them already.

4. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

I would definitely use the 120.2 rad for the GPU, seeing that it has a higher TDP then the CPU (I hope? unless you have some crazy superclocked CPU)

Also I don't think 120.1 is enough for the 5970..

5. Phalanx

The i7 920 will be running at about 4.0-4.2GHz with any luck. Does that change anything?

6. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Use the H70 with Push/Pull 1850rpm scythe gentle typhoons on the CPU. Then I would get a laing DDC pump, with perhaps a reservoir pump top conversion, and use it with the XSPC RX240 radiator with some more gentle typhoon fans.

7. Phalanx

Ah, so I'm on the right lines then with my idea :) OK cool. Nice to know I was looking at the right radiator :)