1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Watercooling - help about component placing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vocko, 23 Jun 2004.

1. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

My sisters iMac=>PC mod is going to wait because her hdd died and I had to buy a new one, so now I'm short for money :(
    After that stupid intro :) lets go to the problem. I came into possesion of a WB and a heater core (for free) and now I want to dip into the waters of water cooling. Here's the problem:
    I want to build a WC setup, but I'm limited to space inside the case, because of the position of my case and also because I move it occasionally.
    Here are the pics how I imagined it: (Btw sketchup roolz! Also best regards to ppl who made sketchup model of mb,cd,hdd, coolers, psu and the pump, you guyz made my life easier with them)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Everything is made to scale and as is on the pictures, except the pump.
    Unfortunately I'm not in position of buying components specially designed for WC so I'm making the reservoir (I havent started yet), for the pump I'll have to use one for aquarium and for other stuff I'll manage.

What do you think about the layout ? Do you have any suggestions on how to change it to make it better ? Which pump is quiter submersable or non-submersable ? Also if you know any good pump manufancturers for aquariums please share it with me. Can I use plexiglass for the reservoir ?

Also I must note that if the heater core is mounted on the top 5.25" place there is 17-18mm from the top of the hc to the top of the case, so use of a 120mm fan is, unfortunately, out :( (If this design is used), because there is no 15mm thick 120mm fan.

That's it I think... If I remember anything else I'll write it up.
    I'm listening to your :dremel: suggestions

Here's the link to my sketchup project file (size iz 1.7mb) if someone wants to edit it or to see actual and precise dimensions.

edit: How should I regulate in/out system if the pump is submersable ? And what preparations I have to make so I can l8er add WB to the graphic card ?

Last edited: 23 Jun 2004
  2. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

setup looks pretty good, about the only place you could really put a rad that size in that case. hopefully you'll only lose two bay slots to that setup. as for a submersible pump, if its run like that it won't have an inlet barb, just a line running to a barb in the side of the res. both the eheim and the hydor pumps can be run submerged. as far as upgradeability goes, make sure you have a pump that is hefty enough to go through a couple of blocks. ei. get the hydor L30 instead of the L20. another pump to check out is a relative newcomer, it isn't a submersible, but it looks good from what little i've seen of it. take a look at D-tek's website and the 12v pumps. there's a new one there from c-systems. its really compact, decently priced, and isn't bad power wise. oh yeah, you might want to make the res a little wider than what you've got shown right now, as you don't want the pump vibrating off the walls or anything. that's my $0.02 anyway.

3. noobidoo

noobidoo What's a Dremel?

i think you will have to put a ari trap att the hiest point or you gett air pockets in the radiator i have my reservoar on topp of the case so that becomes the air trap. I have read that some where on this forum. :search:

4. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I am not a H20 cooling expert, as a matter of fact I am awaiting parts to start my first H20 cooled machine. I would post this on Extreme Cooling if I where you, that is where the water_world geeks hang out. Good Luck
    MS

5. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

Here where I live I cannot find anywhere Eheim or Hydor (when I tell those names in stores they look me like I'm from Jupiter :D). I'm trying to loose just one bay (rad is a little longer than a cd drive, and a bit higher) 'cause I like a tidy case and I need place to put all unused cables (I have a Chieftec 420W PSU with lots of long cables because it's made for a Chief Big Tower, but my case is a DTK midi tower :naughty: )
    Yes I thought about the pump vibrating off the walls of the res, but untill I find a pump which I will use I'm not building a res. There's one more place where I can put the res and its shown in the pic below. And also the pump wont be positioned like that, because I still dont know which pump I'll be using.

How many in/out "taps" I should have on the res if the pump is submersable ?
    What size should the res be ? Currently in these designs it's 0.8-0.95l

[​IMG]

You mean I'll have to put something like an air pocket ? I'll use the search, but I would like if someone could explaint it here so I can have it all in one place.
    Thnx 4 the advice.

10x for the tip. I've done it.

Best regards to all of u :rock:

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

my suggestions, would be to not run the pump submerged, I tried it, and it makes your temperatures go up. All the heat from the pump is transferred to the water. He's right about the air trap too, usually you put your resevouir in the highest point of the case so that it traps the air bubbles.

7. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

Looks like a good design.

Fan:You will need a fan to move air through the radiator. Perhaps you could mount this on top of your case? From your sketchup model it looks as if there would be enough space to get one in.

Res: The size of it should be big enough. You don't strickly need a res in a WC loop, but they do help with filling and emptying the system. This is another reason to have it as the highest point in the system. Ofcause you can get round this by having a T-junction at the top - probably just after the rad. You could then use this to fill and remove the air from the system.

Pump: Most aquarium pumps are designed to be submerged. When I was looking around from mine (I have a MaxiJet Power Head 1200) I asked in a lot of aquairum shops, the jist of that was they should be cooled some how for maximium life. The Ehiems and Hydor's do seam to do pretty well out of water, but for me a possible couple of degrees vs. better pump life seamed worth it, even if my pump only cost me £20.

Everything else looks ok, I hope this can become a project log soon! :D

8. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

To be honest, the best place for water cooling has gotta be procooling.

I would say that setup looks fine. I like the submersable inside the rad :D

And the heater core is spot on.

9. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

You can see on the pictures that there are two places (two grills) for 80mm fans 15mm thick. I would like better if I could put 1x 120mm fan, but there is no space for a 25mm thick fan and I didnt find any manufancturer who builds 120mm 15mm thick fans :(. Even now I'm having toruble finding 80mm 15mm thick fans :(

I thought about putting the res somwhere near the top, but I dont think it will fit, because I'm still unsure of the res size because of the size of the pump. I saw this thread about making a res with plexi and submergable pump and it says it's a good air trap.

Can someone explain me more about air traps and air in the wc system ?
    What is a T-junction ?

Here I have a wide choice of aquarium pumps ranging from 5euro :eyebrow: to 150+euro :jawdrop:. The girl who works at that shop looked me very strangely when I told her it was for my computer :D.
    I'll go back tommorow and talk to her precisely with much detail as possible about the pumps and then I'll post here (or maybe in a new thread) so we can together pick the best pump.
    I'm definitely going for a submerged pump (If i'm gonna use the res, but I think the T-junction thingy is for using without res, am I wrong ?) 'cause I dont mind the diffrence of a few degrees in temperature.
    I currently have Zalman 7000Cu qling my CPU, but I want to try something different and more quiet.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2004
  10. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

I found these pumps in my local aqua-store:
    AquaEl Fan Mikro Eu
    AquaEl Fan Mini Eu

Mikro suits me better because of its size, but I'm not sure will any of these two do for a WC setup.
    Are they usable for a WC setup ?

11. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I doubt whether either of those pumps would be sufficient for watercooling. You will want something with faster flow than both of them. Also there is no mention of hose sizes, max head etc

Hydor pumps are cheap but sufficient so I would try one of them instead.

12. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

A pump will put out such a negligible amount of heat... I see that comment so often and IMO it's such an over the top thing to say. I don't believe you'd notice any difference in temps and in fact submerging the pump can muffle some of the (already minimal) noise.

I am going to move this thread to "extreme cooling" (a forum quite sensationally titled, the stuff in there doesn't tend to be all that extreme).

13. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Just skimmed the thread so it may or may not be useful but the res needn't go at the top

/.............its a bit of a misconception around forums that the air will rise to the highest point which just isn't the case when you got a pump pumping the water round and round.

A good air trap/res will always catch air no matter any where you place it :thumb:

14. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

Like I said earlier in the post - I dont have where to buy hydor or eheim pumps. I cannot order over the 'net because I dont have a cc and even if I could get one, problem would be that I'm on a extra tight budget so the shipping cost to me would be enough that I cant collect enough money.

15. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

Also in the shop they said that they've got these pumps:
    PF-0 EU
    PF-1 EU

These are fountain pumps, but they look like Eheim pumps. The latter one has max capacity aat 600l/h, just like the Eheim 1048.

So which of these should I take ? I dont think that they will let me buy the pumpa and then return it and exchange it for another...

Tags: