1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Watercooling loop query.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arthur, 23 May 2010.

1. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

Hi all :)

Quick question about a watercooling loop set-up.

If i had one of These pumps would it be enough to control the flow through 3 x 360 radiators or is it not powerful enough ?

Cheers for any replies.

2. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

They're usually pretty strong, what are the radiators in question?

3. Arthur

all 3 are black ice gtx extreme 360's.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've had a loop with a Black Ice GTX Extreme 480, XSPC RX480, Black Ice 240 GT, CPU and GPU blocks using both that pump and also Phobya 400 (separately) with no problems. My Eheim Xt Standard couldn't handle it though.

It might be more of a problem if you introduce chipset cooling with its added restriction into the loop but I'm not sure about that.

5. Arthur

Well i have 2 of those pumps so if 1 is not up to the job can i add a 2nd pump to the loop ?

6. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

I use the pump you linked to (rig in sig) and have zero flow problems, so expect it would cope with what you want.
    Yes you can double them up, but it would probably be better to do two loops if flow becomes a problem.

7. Big Elf

You could but depending on what you're cooling it might be an idea to have 2 loops e.g. CPU only loop and GPU only loop.

Some people have 2 pumps in a loop for backup as well as increased flow but I've never been sure what would happen if one packs up and the single pump has to force the fluid through it.

From my own tests anything over roughly over 1.5GPM doesn't make any noticeable difference to the CPU/GPU temperatures and only a fractional difference to water temperatures that could be explained by my average quality thermometers. Only when the GPM drops under roughly 0.8GPM do I notice increased temperatures. I calculate my flow rate based on the voltage going through the pump rather than a flow meter so my above comments could be totally wrong.

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Why not just have 2 loops if you've got another pump already. If you add a 2nd pump into the loop and it stops working it'll create back pressure where the other pump not only has to push round the system it has to go through the other pump aswell. The other advantage of 2 loops it that 2 will be far more efficient than 1.

9. Arthur

Ok....2 loops maybe.

I have full mobo waterblocks (NB/SB & mosfets)

ram waterblock (12gb one)

intel core i7 980x cpu

2 x gtx 480 graphics cards

What is the best suggestion per loop.....maybe cpu & mobo/ram blocks on one loop and the 480's on their own loop?

But i would still like to use the 3 x 360 rads so maybe 2 rads on the graphics loop?

Would this be ok ?

10. Big Elf

Unless you're doing crazy overclocks there should be no need to cool the Mosfets/X58 or SB and introducing them into the loop will increase restriction. RAM is designed to cope with higher temperatures and the same argument applies.

A triple rad should be OK for a CPU only loop with 2 triples for the GPUs.

Skinnee's review should give you an idea of the heatload dissipation on your rads http://skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-gtx360.html

11. Arthur

Placing aside the "no need" or the "it's overkill" stuff...is what i said in my last post do-able as there will be heavy overclocking involved.

CPu & mobo/ram blocks on 1 x 360 rad,

2 graphics cards on 2 x 360 rads.

is that the best layout?

Thanks.

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If you're going to do it thats the way to go. 2 loops.

13. Arthur

Thanks for all replies/advice :thumb: