1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress WaterCube *Update 19/04/10*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by haofeng, 23 Mar 2009.

1. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

2. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 10

well, first off, i got the case sent of to the powdercoaters at WCUK, who were excellent in their service. I'm getting it painted satin black, and ive been informed that it will all be coming back tomorrow, so hopefully lots of juicy pictures soon.

Sorry i didnt get many pics of the bare alu before i sent it all away- i was in such a hurry getting the last few bits and pieces done in time. i promise to make up for it :p

well, anyway, my motherboard

I decided my mobo, the ASUS striker extreme (for which i paid a ridiculous, unjustified amount of money at the time) needed a bit of a clean and some new TIM

Here it is before i started on it

[​IMG]

Off comes the heatsink

[​IMG]

the board in all its naked glory...

[​IMG]

my Q6600, which unfortunately is the B3 version...been trying to trade it for a G0 to no avail :(
    for some reason the etched on writing is invisible...

[​IMG]

All replaced with the Scythe Mine on top, which is my temporary replacement before i can get my watercooling in place.

[​IMG]

3. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Hardware

well, after the mobo, it was time to put my temporary rig together

Graphics cards- 2 nvidia Geforce GTX260 216's, one of which is 65nm and the other 55nm, both EVGA

[​IMG]

RAM- Patriot Viper 2*2GB DDR1066 sticks with pretty green heatsinks. Got them for a measly $38 :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WD Raptor 74GB's- I was going to RAID0 them, but the RAID drivers on the striker extreme are a nightmare, and windows kept on BSODing, so i decided to stick with one for the moment. Will get RAID0 going once I upgrade to i7/i5/i9.

[​IMG]

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB for storage

[​IMG]

I put them all in a HDD rack that i was going to use for my case, but it was a little flimsy and askew, so i made another one thats been sent of to the powdercoaters.

[​IMG]

And my Coolermaster M1000 PSU- this thing is a beast :D

[​IMG]

4. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 11

Well, this is actually some modding, rather than just showing off hardware, so i thought id start a new post.

I just did a little fan painting with some Plasti-kote.

I have 6 120mm's in the case, 4 of which are xilence redwings and 2 of which are yate loons.
    The yates were easy to take off, but the redwings werent so good- you had to basically yank them off, so i managed to break one in the process. £6 down the drain...*sigh*

I've decided a black/white colour scheme in the case, its just going to be a couple of white highlights...

My Xilence "Whitewings"- sorry for no before/after pics, though its quite self explanatory. They used to be red. Now they're white. Yates on the right.

[​IMG]

Back and reassembled

[​IMG]

Thats it for now, will have some stuff on the case when its back from powdercoating :D

5. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Dell 2408WFP

This is a monitor of such epicness that it deserved its own special post...

It came in a frigging huge package, i mean seriously...thats my trusty not-so-old lian li PC-8 next to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cannot stress how big this thing is, it absolutely dwarfs my 19 inch Samsung...these rather shoddy pics really dont do it justice...

[​IMG]

Up and running- it feels so good switching from 1440*900 to 1900*1200- just all that desktop real estate...uum, im not professional, so I have no idea how good really the colour quality is, but looks pretty good to me- and the reviews have said some good things about this panel, so im happy :D

[​IMG]

Oh, and some frankly ridiculous viewing angles

[​IMG]

6. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Oh, i forgot...

I think its perhaps time that "watercooled aluminium cube case" got a perhaps more exciting name- any ideas? :p

Haofeng

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I don't think asking a forum with people like me lurking here is a good idea.:worried:

Lucky for you my naming-fu is out of whack today...

8. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

haha...always open to ideas :p but ive decided WaterCube will be sufficient for now...pity its not quite as beautiful as its namesake :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The case didnt come back from the powdercoaters today...a little disappointing, but hey, ill live...just as long as it comes tomorrow. after all, i did pay for next day business shipping!

So instead, ive been cleaning my watercooling stuff with some distilled vinegar...will have some pics soon.

9. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 12- All powdercoated!

the case came back today all powdercoated in satin black- it was beautiful. This was my first experience with powdercoating, and im very pleased with the results. Another big thank you to Marcus from WCUK for putting up with such a picky/impatient customer :p

Well, here r the pics then...

First, the main bit...(different backgrounds just for the hell of it...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(slightly dirty) mobo tray complete with neoprene trim...

[​IMG]

rear panel

[​IMG]

side panels (there r a few dents near the bend where i hit it with a rubber mallet during bending :duh:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bits and pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will have it all put together soon :D

10. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Very nice. Is satin black a color that is going to be common for all powdercoating? I ask because I might need a little powdercoating attention soon...

11. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm going back to school this evening...:waah: i realised last night that no way was I gonna be able to get this thing finished by then, especially considering all the watercooling to be done. so i decided to shove veryhting back into my lian-li pc-8, and thats what ive been doing today.

Looks likes WaterCube will have to wait till christmas, or at least until half term :( Though, at least it wont be a rushed job then...I'll see if i can get some more pics up before i go

@shomann- yeah, i think satin black is a very common colour to powdercoat, Marcus said that WCUK runs satin black every week, so i guess there are plenty of people who do it.

12. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Candy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Flippin' awesome!

14. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

wow! looks factory built. very Awesome case.

15. Pikey

Pikey What's a Dremel?

I love this project so much.

16. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

that is fantastic. looks straight off the production line

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

A PC-case can be of any color... For as long as "any" refers to black ;) Looking good!

18. M. Ehrlich

M. Ehrlich Avatar is my silhouette. :)

Looked nice. Good work. :thumb:

19. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Nice work and being perfect ain't where it's at. It's what you do to fix all the problems that come from modding that make you shine. :lol:

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Really cool design for it :) Some nice skills with the bending aswell ;)

P.S. Useless info for the day. In the UK the 'right angle' is predominantly known as a 'set-square'. No idea why it's different so don't ask lol and i really don't know which makes more sense either :worried: