1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding waterjet cutouts!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by UnLoadeD, 14 Jun 2002.

1. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

Yes got my cutouts today from time2kill, great job he did. I got big plans for em 8) Here's some pics for ya guys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the pre made top blow hole will soon be history. Also i have another door panel so wont be using the one shown in second pic. Gonna mount the cutouts to plexi and then the whole "sandwich" to outside of case. LEDs will be hidden in the plexi so ill have the glowing edges that i've been after for a long time 8) Gotta give props to time2kill for such a nice job, took a phone call and a few emails back&forth and he got em exactly how I wanted em. Also props to gigahz at so-trick for hooking me up with the aluminum panels, the ones from pcmods werent big enuff for what i wanted to do. If you are interested in having cutouts done here thread with info about it:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390563

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

looks very nice Unloaded!... anxious to see those babies installed. Shame you went through all the trouble of doing the side panel the hard way...

3. relix

relix Minimodder

omg that looks fscking sweet dude!

4. UnLoadeD

here's another pic kinda showing my plans:
    [​IMG]

5. tikaani

tikaani What's a Dremel?

Very kewl, makes me wish I had equipment like that now.

6. banished

banished Necromodder

Very nice, you definetly have to show us the final when you're done.

7. ChriX

ChriX ^

I think any modders dream is to own equipment like that ;)

Looks good unloaded, cant wait to see them installed :D

8. ^KoC^R@

^KoC^R@ What's a Dremel?

how much $$ ?

9. Linkitch

Linkitch What's a Dremel?

What is Time2kill ?

10. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

unloaded those turned out pretty nice, know i understand why you bought that clear anodized aluminum

11. UnLoadeD

Time2kill is the guys nick on [H] board that did the cutout for me, read the thread i linked to if you want more details 8)

12. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

13. UnLoadeD

kewl, that is the same image, i paid less for both cutouts than what they are charging for just the one 8)

edit: looking some more i see some other nice cutouts they've done. i like the atomic blast and the celtic knot, i almost did a knot instead, i have a few images that i d/l'd but went with the sun instead. seems i've got similar taste to somebody there.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2002
  14. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Looks sweet love the idea of of putting the plexi in between like that :D

15. Lag Messiah

Lag Messiah What's a Dremel?

Just wondering, that's some quality work, what does he charge?

16. UnLoadeD

well, i'd rather not say the exact amount i paid, as he charges depending on the work, you're best bet would be to contact him with what you are interested in having done and he will quote you a price.
    ok with that outta the way gonna copy/paste my update on pheaton's board, prolly gonna start a worklog thread there and will be doing most update on it:

Hmm, maybe this should goto worklogs, im gonna try and take lotta pics as i go, but hard to remember when i get busy doing stuff. anyway i been working on the top this weekend. made some progress but also had some glitches. Here's a few shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This isnt finished but kinda gives idea where i'm headed, now for the problems:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the hole is quite a bit smaller than it should be and it restricts flow pretty badly. also, although i ground the screw heads flat and plan on recessing them in the plexi, they show just a bit when its put together, as you can see here:
    [​IMG]
    I'd planned on using jb-weld on the heads to attach them to underdie of the aluminum, but looks like they arent gonna fit. I know CD has used jb-weld, i'm wondering if i cut off the heads and just epoxy the threaded part if the epoxy is strong enuff? Not sure what im gonna do with the fan situation, i might do away with the fan, and just have plexi, or maybe even use a plexi dome i have. also i might get a 70mm fan and see if that is a better fit. On a positive note, i tried beveling a test piece of plexi with a sanding block, turned out to be pretty easy todo and looks nice when lit. Here's a few pics of the test piece although they arent very good, my camera doesnt like the lighting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    wish i didnt haveta go into to work today, 1 day off every 2-3 weeks doesnt leave much time to mod. and being on second shift, for some reason the wife doesnt like the sound of my dremel after i get home from work, i would think the sound is soothing and she would sleep better with it in the background!
    8)

17. UnLoadeD

Here are some pic's of the dome i mentioned, its a bit bigger than the hole, but i could fit it if i decide to. I'd rather have an exhaust fan up there (lighted) but i dunno. I've been eyeballing those all-in-wonder 8500 128m cards and will prolly wind up getting one soon. the thought crossed my mind about hacking the remote's receiver outta its lil housing and putting in in the dome. the remote is radio so i dont think the plexi will effect it much. decisions, decisions...8/ anyway here's some pics, lemme know what ya think, also the last one nicely shows the details of the cutous.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. UnLoadeD

well, i decided for now im just gonna go with beveled plexi, no fan or dome. i got a buncha blue and red 3mm leds on order, hope they dont take too long to get here, also lottsa plexi coming, some of it tinted. here's a pic of the beveled edge, its 1/8" plexi btw.
    [​IMG]

19. UnLoadeD

OK, i got the top plexi beveled and mounted. I used JB Weld to attack screws to panel (heads cut off) and drilled holes in plexi and case top. Pics are smaller as im running outta ftp space 8)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got a shipment of plexi in today so i can start on the side panel now. I'm kinda at a delima again, i got some tinted plexi in too, and it looks really nice, but i wouldnt be able to light it like the clear. I might do it both ways as the can be removed pretty easily. Anyway here's pics of my plexi and a shot of side panel showing placement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used a piece of tinted coz it shows up better, looks really nice with it too.

20. kerus

kerus What's a Dremel?

that looks wicked good! and i hear ya on the 1 day off every couple weeks thing man. :cries: