1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Way too many network sessions open?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Noob4ever, 25 Mar 2010.

1. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

Well I had some complaints from my roomy last night, about my bandwith usage being high, that was obvious, had a torrent going for darkfall etc, so I shut it down, but this morning with nothing but firefox running I get told its crap again, so I check the modem, and for some reason I'm running 100+ open network sessions with no torrents up, no downloads up, just firefox for internet stuff. I've got a bunch of the usual stuff, dt, avast, spybot, rocketdock etc etc, but none of this should contribute to that many sessions, and I'm not seeing anything in processes that could lead to it, any suggestions ideas on what may be causing it? or does vista just have that many open as par for the course? this is the first time I've had cause to check my modems usage history.

Noob

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

XD should be no sessions.. check for any open shares and restrict them to your own lan

3. Noob4ever

hm........ what exactly do you mean by open shares? you mean the vista folder sharing stuff? I've got all that disabled. Is there a piece of software out there that you would recommend to monitor those sessions? I believe sisoftware had something like that on their program, but its no longer included in their free version.

also when downloading sisoftware, i noticed avast had connections with an ip address of corleone and godfather etc, anyone know what that is about?

Last edited: 25 Mar 2010
  4. thehippoz

start> right click computer > manage

you'll see shared folders in the list on the left.. under shares you can disable them there

5. Noob4ever

yeah, like I said thats all turned off, I was asking about the network sessions :D

6. thehippoz

yeah don't think you understand sessions.. how long have they been connected? you can see what files are open btw for each guest in that panel too

I'm assuming your not trojaned.. probably part of the botnet unfortunately- they use your box and bandwidth for whatever they want

7. Noob4ever

hm...... well my modem says I have 90 open sessions atm, on this pc, there are no client connections according to shares under computer management as well as no sessions open in the session tabs of the shares, I've got no torrents and no downloads going on atm. My other computers are topping out at about 5 open sessions on the modem, so what am I missing here?

8. thehippoz

aye so you mean connected to a port.. on the incoming log are they hitting the same port you configured for the torrent client? if you could get a screen of what your talking about exactly

or are you on a modem/router setup/wireless? if you mean active connections to your wireless router that wouldn't be funny.. in that case reconfigure with wpa or wpa2

9. Noob4ever

Here is what the problem is, when everything on my pc shows up as no connections made, except for firefox and a couple others that I know exactly what they are.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Mar 2010
  10. thehippoz

try this.. make a directory called temp on c

open command box.. start> run > cmd

type netstat -b 5 > c:\temp\log.txt

wait a couple of minutes and hit ctrl+c a few times to stop it.. open up the log in notepad and you'll have a list of all the connections made in the last 2 minutes

hope that will help you narrow it down to a certain app.. windows firewall should have a list but no port numbers unfortunately (it opens the app up to all ports default)

you try running a free scan like malwarebytes?

11. thehippoz