1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling WC coolant

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ener, 27 Sep 2006.

1. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'll stick with Fluorinert for now. I've had it in my loop for over a year, and it is as clean as the day I filled it up. It is pricey , but nothing beats it for practicality.

3. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

isnt that like 1000$ a L?

4. Nexxo

£70,-- a Litre. Considering the price of the hardware in my case, a small outlay for the insurance of not frying it with a leak.

5. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Could you describe what fluorinert is nexxo? o-o it sounds pretty nifty.

6. Nexxo

Fluorinert is a Perfluorcarbon. There is a whole family of them, but only few are suitable for cooling (others are too viscous or slowly eat through silicone seals --not good). It is a totally inert, non-conductive liquid. No corrosion, no conduction, no weird algae growth. It is slightly less temperature conductive than water, but 1.78 times heavier and expands a bit more when warm. This is not a problem using it in a cooling loop though. It cools Cray supercomputers by submerging entire circuit boards in the stuff.

It vaporises when left exposed to the air, which means that if you spill it over your expensive hardware not only will it not damage it, but it will evaporate without a trace. But it has a very low viscosity which means that if there is any leak in your system, it will find it.

It is hard to get at the moment, but TMC Industries sells recycled Fluorinert (to 99%+ purity, so no worries there) for reasonable prices.

7. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Which formulation would you suggest? F-72, or is the boiling point too low?

Edit: after further investigation, TMC sell FC-77 (Which I have discovered to be a good heat transference material) is sold by the (US) gallon, for $231.00. So 3 and a bit litres for £124. Cheaper than you first suggested, Nexxo. But their site lacks a payment page. I think you have to do it with an actual person, rather than a 1-click service.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2006
Tags: