1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WC Test Station - Problems

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by KSHH, 27 Jun 2015.

1. KSHH

KSHH What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,
    Hope you all have had a great start on the weekend! :)

I've build myself a test station for water cooling, but I'm having some trouble with a lot of air in the system, even after bleeding the system over 24 hours.

The pump that is currently being used is a Laing DDC 10W.

Anyone got a potential solution? :)

And if you've got any other ideas on how to improve my test station, please let me know. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Put the reservoir at the highest point in the loop. Air rises, water sinks. It'll escape that way and should leave your system air free. :)

I am intrigued, though! What is this for? :D

3. KSHH

KSHH What's a Dremel?

I'll try that, to see if that should make the difference. :)
    As you can see on one of the images, the pressure from the water leaving the rotameter, creates a lot of air bubbles in the reservoir.

It's going to be used for testing custom water cooling, from pumps and pump tops to radiators and CPU/GPU blocks.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I think the air bubble problem is partly caused by the reservoir, partly it's position below the top of the flow meter, and partly the arrangement of the inlet and outlet.
    A larger res, ideally with some baffles between the inlet and outlet should allow the airbubbles time to start rising towards the top rather than going with the flow and getting sucked straight back into the loop.
    As a stop gap you could try putting a sponge in the reservoir to try and 'catch' the bubbles. I'm thinking of something like this, you can buy them for aquarium pumps.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Even though it's a relatively low power pump the lack of restriction in the loop could be the reason. If you're going to use it to test components then adding a block or two should slow the flow down a bit. Adding rads won't make a difference, slowing down the pump would help.

6. KSHH

KSHH What's a Dremel?

Just tried moving the reservoir up, so it's the highest part on the system, but that didn't help, so i'll try with the sponge, or maybe adding a longer tube from the reservoir to the pump.

7. KSHH

KSHH What's a Dremel?

At the moment, that wouldn't be a solution, as I'm going to test some pumps, to see how much pressure they can deliver, and how many LPM (liters per minute) they can deliver, so for testing that, I've got to only have the pump in the loop, and no blocks or radiators.

But thanks for sharing your solution with me. :)