1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WD announces VelociRaptor hard drives

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 22 Apr 2008.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

A short stroked 74GB version just isn't going to happen, would be no cheaper to manufacture than the 150GB model

any 74GB drive released would just be a single sided single platter drive

2. Anakha

Anakha Member

I still miss the 18GB 15kRPM Ultra160 HDD I used to run my old system off. It was insanely fast, and did everything I needed, and while I was only running Win2k on it, it (And the Dual-PIII motherboard) would still wipe the floor with most contenders at LAN parties. At least until the Athlon XPs they were running hit 2.9Ghz.

3. TomH

TomH And like that... he was gone.

Yeah. SAS cards don't come cheap (though they're not much more than your average hardware SATA RAID card) but on top of that, those disks you speak of are about £330 + VAT each.

And 8 in a server sounds something akin to an FTL drive spinning-up. Not really ideal - these new Raptors are a good comprimise.

4. Mister_Tad

SAS/SCSI disks are tweaked for high IOPS which, while its great for servers, doesn't do anything for desktop use.
    Most current gen 7200 rpm drives are as fast or faster for desktop use than the latest and greatest 15k drives

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

In one of the reviews -> "Drives were run with the PCB facing up."

Is this how HDD's are supposed to be run, I have always put them in with the PCB facing down?

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

it doesn't matter what direction your hard drives face. should run the same whether they are pcb down, up or sideways.

7. rupbert

rupbert New Member

Getting one of these on day of release, I love my 74Gb Raptor and this looks to be a serious upgrade.

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I wonder if they are the standard laptop size, there are debates on the net, some say yes but others say no. I am on a 5400rpm drive and the load times in games are killing.

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

from what ive read they are to high for laptop's, but if it could the battery life would be a killer

10. metarinka

metarinka New Member

hrmm I might have to include one in my next system. I had 2x 37gig raptors when they first came out in raid 0, sold them and bought my current 75gig raptor and maybe in the future I'll buy the 300 gig one. They make really good Os/gaming and application drives (and yah I have a tempory file I put photoshop and video editing files in.

the speed is noticable, basically on reducing load times. but you have to decide if saving 10 seconds on game loads and maybe 15 or so on windows is worth it to you.

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Well-Known Member

Sweet!

I've been waiting for WD to come up with something faster than the old Raptors. I will be getting a couple of these to replace my current Raptor RAID.

12. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

There is a review out on anandtech. And still i think the Samsung spinpoint is the best bang for the buckazoids

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

If these hit sub £180, then I'll be tempted. Even so, I still think that the Samsung F1 drives are probably the best bet with respect to price/speed/capacity.

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm a firm beliver in getting the best out of your harddrives, they are a totally underated part of a PC's set up in my opinion. Yeah true you have a 9800GTX but that's not going to speed up Windows loading, any apps loading, your games loading, joining a game online and not being the last one in, moving data around on your harddrive etc. etc. SCSI drives are great for servers where you need to load data from different parts of the drive simultaniously, but for a single user nothing beats a Raptor. Hopefully the older generation of Raptors will come down in price now so I think I'll pick up a replacement for my aging first generation Raptor. Along with all the other things I need to replace in my aging PC *sigh*

Edit: Just read the Storage Review review, bugger me that's a fast drive.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2008
  15. completemadness

completemadness New Member

i would have thought they have stuck that massive heatsink on for a reason, i think the heat could also be a killer :p

16. Mister_Tad

They stuck the heatsink on for ease of mounting in a 3.5" bay. The only issue running one of these in a laptop would be the height.

17. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

agree that hard drives are the most limiting thing in most people's PC's. i mean, i've got a quad core yet i cannot do 4 things at once, because hard disk isn't fast enough. when im burning DVD, game loading slows down to nearly stops, when i copy files, games loading also slows down.

but Raptors are never good value for money, Sammy F1 and WD 640GB looks to perform on par in almost everything apart from seek time.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

hmm I think I may get 2 of these a shot, ehh if I dont like them well back to the store they will go

19. Hamish

Hamish New Member

argh, if they released a 150gig one for like £150 or so i'd have 2 in a second
    but i really dont need that much storage for a system disk and its just too much :(

Tags: Add Tags