1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD800 not showing up in windows ME

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SparkuS, 17 Sep 2003.

1. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Hey, Sid here posting for me mate.

He's bought a WD800 and what I'm trying to do for him is set that up as secondary, leaving his older 40gig seagate drive master. I have set the jumpers correctly and the drives are plugged in on the same cable in the right connectors.

The plan is to copy all his music and important files over to the WD drive then format the Seagate and install Windows XP on that. However, the current OS, Win ME, isn't recognising the new 80gig, only the 40. In BIOS the drive isn't recognised either. I set the drive detection thing to auto but still no luck.

The new drive is not yet formatted. Can't exactly do this when it won't be read. While I'm waiting on feedback I think I'll try setting it as master and seeing if I can format it then.

Any suggestions about how to get this working.

2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Will fdisk from an old faithful win98 boot disk see it? I doubt it if its not seen in the bios but its worth a try. Id set it as the master aswell and install windows on it. The newer drive will probably perform better than the old one and it will make windows feel more responsive.

I hope its not DOA mate.

3. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

Try it without any jumpers on the drive.
    That'll make it a master and apparently solves some problems with the drive.

4. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Yeah, well I've tried it with no jumper on the primary drive connecter. In BIOS at auto it reads the drive type and the capacity but I can't access the drive in DOS or anythin.

5. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

nevermind... sorry..

6. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

7. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

make sure that the 2hdds are not conflicting each other, ie both set at master, as then only one will show up in the os...

tbjh though, why doesnt your mate install the os on the newer larger hdd, and use the older smaller for backups?

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Re: Re: WD800 not showing up in windows ME

I think you need to FDISK it in DOS...

Is that when you try FDISK or when you simply type a drive-letter into the prompt?

9. Sid

Sid Banned

Drive letter.

So I should get a floppy with fdisk on it. Run that. And the drive should hopefully show up?

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Indeed it should; if it's a brand new, unformatted drive then it will need FDISK'ing so that windows can "see" it (don't ask for the tchnical language, i don't know why the hell it does it; maybe it writes a proper boot sector for a Win16/32bit) :)

If that doesn't work though; i'd say it's b0rk3d and you need to send it for RMA if you bought it from a company/get money back...

11. Sid

Sid Banned

Yeah, the thing is, BIOS doesn't even seem to recognise it properly. Not as secondary anyway.

I'll give the fdisk thing a try though. Cheers.

12. LaughingJon

LaughingJon What's a Dremel?

do you feel the drive spin up when you turn the computer on?

try the master HD on the primary IDE then the 2nd one on IDE2. Make sure you set the jumpers correctly, i had great probs with my WD drives as they said (slave can be no jumper) this didnt work.. i needed to have the jumpers set for the drive to access.

If the above both are checked and seem okay and the bios fails to see the HD then rma seems the only other option. Maybe try the drive in your rig just in case tho, as if you RMA it and it is okay you will probably get charged.

Laters
    Jon