1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware WDTV Live HD Media Player Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Dec 2009.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Xir - a lot of TVs have a VGA input so probably using that
    And it should find a NAS so long as its on the same network, is that what you mean? most bog standard switches don't actually do anything clever, they just allow more network ports.

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Mine finds my ReadyNas through a Router, a switch or a powerline network cable, so that's a yes.

3. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I'd spend another ~ £50 and get an acer revo or similar. Installing something like xbmc would outshine the WD interface, no matter how good it is. XBMC does stuff like scrape for tv / music / movie information, custom plugins, run programs, iplayer etc. I picked up the dual core acer revo 3610 last week for £160, installed xbmc live and haven't looked back.

http://www.aeonproject.com/ mmmm

4. Dogers

Dogers New Member

I like that idea Shepps, you've got me thinking about my own Christmas present :D

5. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Yeah, i was afraid of that. Are DVI-ports that much more expensive than VGA-ports?

Hmmm, just remembered that my NAS (me beeing cheap) is actually a NDAS...so it would need to install it's driver software. :(

6. aaronwt

aaronwt New Member

It doesn't do menus with ISOs and doesn't even play BD ISOs? that is a big fail for me. At the very least it shoudl give you the menus for a DVD ISO. Other products play A DVD ISO just like you were watching the disc. And for such a cheap product I don't expect BD ISO menus but it should at least be able to play them. For not being able to play the menus in DVD ISOs, this product should ahve been marked down from the 9/10 it got. I looked at the WDTV and the Xtreamer and the Xtreamer has more usable features for me than this. After reading this review it certainly validates my decision to get the Xtreamer instead.

7. breezyship

breezyship New Member

One thing missing from the review is that the device is also DLNA certified. That means it can play content from DLNA servers.
    A DLNA can be other hardware gizmos, or it can be a program on the PC.
    You can for instance use the program "TVersity", this could stream content from the PC (which you can of course already do just be sharing folders), but it can also be set up to stream (and reencode on the fly) content from the internet. For instance IPlayer. http://tversity.com/

8. Massacres

Massacres New Member

So Ok, this may sound silly, but I have a couple questions that the specs don't talk about.

If i hook this up to my TV then run a network cable from it to my router, can I then access all the info on my Windows 7 Desktop on the network from the WD Box? Or do I have to have a NAS or drive plugged directly into it? I am looking for a simple solution to play all my PC's music and videos on my TV and Stereo. And also, can I search access the web with it?

I would appreciate any help, BestBuy has it for 99.00 right now and I have a couple gift cards,

And can I play a bluray disc on my PC and have it play on the TV? Or even just have it mirror the screen of my windows 7 machine? or no? Thank ytou for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Oct 2010
  9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you mean what I think you mean, yes, you can hook it straight into your network and browse everything on there, be it a NAS or your normal computer with network shares.

10. Massacres

Massacres New Member

Thank you, I think i need to goto the store and play with it, can I play a blueray disc on my computer and see and hear it on my tv?

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I very much doubt it, although I don't know specifically because I've never used one. You might be able to play the Blu-Ray from the drive if it's shared over the network, I'm not entirely sure on that one either.

12. Massacres

Massacres New Member

thanks for your help Krikkit

I appreciate it.

Tags: Add Tags