1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Even if we assume that the callipers aren't seized (which isn't uncommon with that particular brake given that they rotate on a spindle which is then mounted onto the boss), the cost of new pads and noodle will end up being about the same as new callipers anyway. Thus, I'm all for replacement of the entire brake rather than trying to salvage it.

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help. I know it hurts your bike-hearts to see a bike in that condition but it is my daily commuter and it is trashed beyond what's fair for a bike.

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Not a problem at all. Let me assure you however: I've seen much, much worse. I've seen bikes so ravaged by our Canadian winters that there are holes in the magnesium lowers of the fork; stanchions so badly weathered that they were deformed; parts so badly seized together that tools broke before they would be rend asunder. When your daily commute gets cold enough to freeze the bearings in your hubs solid, cause freewheels to become affixed, with snow deep enough to bury the bike itself in, you get used to seeing these steeds in less than opportune circumstances and conditions.

4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Thought you lot would get a kick out of this, the latest in my cycling misadventures:

[​IMG]
    Decided it was about time I had a desk and chair for my computer, rather than just a bit of glass on my lap sat in an uncomfortable old chair. So out came my work-horse of a trailer and one of my bikes, though I'm still unsure why I decided to use my fixie for this, but I did. Anyway, cargo and trailer total weight was well more than 150lbs (for reference I only weigh 155), and half way up the hill on the way home (quite a good one at that) I began to wonder if my shoes could take the physical strain I was unleashing upon them though my 74" gear, so I made the decision to get off and walk. Bit of shame, but what can you do? Aside from that though it was a very fun ride with that much weight on such a terrible trailer! Bent the axle carrier a bit, giving the trailer some camber, but it still seems to work. Not too bad for $20 at a garage sale four or five years ago.

Ah well, have a window into the madness that is my apartment:

[​IMG]
    This is one corner of my bedroom (it also happens to be the chair and desk I just picked up, in the picture above). Three bikes to the left (GT LTS-3, RMB Element Team SC, Specialized Tricross Singlecross), one to the right (Surly 1x1). Not shown are the other bikes in my living room (Surly Long Haul Trucker), kitchen (Specialized Allez, a friends RMB Burroughs), or the rolling cart of parts I have kicking about, or the walk-in closet of parts and frames just off the bathroom, or the storage area of wheels in the main building hallway. I've seriously got to consider slimming down a bit on parts... Computer desk works well enough though.

JaccoW likes this.
  6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Just got back from Whistler. It was an amazing holiday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

WANT!

Also want working forks. I'm just way too terrified to use the old DJ2 anymore, it's got SO much play in it it's no longer funny and with the full suspension frame I'm just always going to be stupid anyway...

8. Jipa

[​IMG]

Yeah that should sort the forks-problem. It's a second hand Boxxer 2008 Team, otherwise in fine condition, but apparently there was some problems with the coating on the left slider, as it looks kinda ugly. Either way it was cheap and it's going to be so much more solid than the DJ2.

Anyway I ran into the next problem, the rims I posted not too long ago have a 9 (5 mm through axle, right) axle, and are most apparently incompatible with the Boxxer, so my primary choice is to hunt down a second hand front wheel with the right axle. But now I started thinking that maybe I could just get a new hub installed to the existing rim? The rim itself is crazy solid and I don't mind the weight, but I also have no idea how much this might cost...

ARGH I JUST WANT TO RIDE DAMNIT, I hate it when I have to mess with the hardware.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Its probably quicker and easier to just get a new second hand wheel.

For the cost, you could probably get a 20mm hub, but then you've got to get it laced onto your existing rim.

Probably not much in it cost wise depending on what you buy.

10. Jipa

Yeah that's what I feared :/ It's just such a shame, I mean the current rims have proven absolutely idiot proof in my use it's a shame to buy some second hand wheels... Maybe I'll just try to talk someone to lace them for a couple of beers :lol:

11. BlodadTand

BlodadTand What's a Dremel?

Any trials riders on here?
    Here's the latest incarnation of my battered old BT.

[​IMG]

12. Jipa

I'm not a trials rider, but I've always wanted to ask why the rim brakes? You seem to have a disc at the front, but most commonly I just see rim brakes on both ends...

13. BlodadTand

BlodadTand What's a Dremel?

Well for 26" bikes yeah HS33s or higher end v brakes are used because they generally offer more bite and hold than discs, with a good set of pads, a fresh grind and a decent set up they are a lot better.

I've tried riding dual disc before with a mono trial and 220mm rotor out back and only then did it match a decent rim brake. The issue with that set up though is that there's lots of flex on even the best wheel builds plus they come out much heavier overall.

However on 20" bikes you don't need such a large rotor and the wheels are stiffer so perfectly viable on little wheels.

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

First things first: your non-drive side stanchion is horrifying! Fully expect to blow through seals like nobody's business, and have massive slop in your bushings (if you don't already). One of two things have happened prior to your getting the fork: either there was quite a lot of debris stuck behind the arch, grinding away at the coating of your stanchion, or sufficient grit got into your lowers (due to extreme lack of maintenance) which chewed up one of your bushings, spitting out a destroyed (this is not too strong of a word) stanchion. Get your fork torn apart ASAP and assessed at an LBS (or do it yourself if you've the knowledge/tools), as you are most likely looking at a new set of bushings and a single stanchion. I feel obliged to point out that this won't be cheap, by any measure.

Other option is just to ignore it until the slop in your fork gets to the point where the lowers crack and fail, and fluid squirts out with every little bump.

It may seem a small issue to have some of the coating gone, but if there is ANY differentiation between the thickness of the stanchion at any point along it's length, the interference fit within the bushings in the lowers is less than optimal, disallowing for a smooth stroke, welcoming further damage to an already compromised part. I've seen the smallest of scratches on a stanchion ruin the best of forks in short order, so what I am saying is not in the least an understatement, let me assure you.

Secondly, it all depends upon your current hoop. Firstly consider how hold the hoop is (limited fatigue life), what it has been used for (how much longer will it last?), and your current spoke tension across the entire wheel (uneven tension, despite the wheel being true = poor resultant build, poor quality). Then look to see if buying a new wheel of similar quality is the same price as getting your old hoop laced up to a new hub - because why would you go for used when you can get new for the same price? Generally speaking, even a relatively cheap hub should technically outlast the rest of the wheel (spokes, nipples, hoop), so most people try to work the other way: lacing their old hub up to a new hoop. All things considered, I personally would rather opt for a new wheelset (or just a new front wheel), rather than trying to salvage an old, multi-season used hoop just for the sake of posterity, or just buy a new (matching) hoop to lace up to a used hub. I say this as a professional wheel builder of many years.

@BlodadTand: I've got an old Knoxx frameset kicking about that I've been wanting to build up for a good while now, just haven't had the time I guess. Got to see Ryan Leech perform live this summer though, and was properly impressed with what he can do.

15. Jipa

All very true, I'm sure, but I'm just doing this hobby on such non-existent budget that I just end up cutting all the corners. I don't like doing it, and it definitely isn't the way to do it, but can't help it, either. The plan is to just get a completely new ride as soon as I can afford one, because just about all parts on the current one are failing and it's ****ed up years beyond any repair.

I'll try to see if I can get the forks serviced, or atleast peek inside to see how bad it is... And as for the wheel, I'll just need to hunt down a second hand set. I'm sure in the UK or Germany I could afford a new one, but over here the stores are so piss poor and expensive I couldn't really be bothered to even go through them. Done that often enough for various parts and it's just not worth the effort.

16. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Just found this thread, I love biking. I'm at the Forest of Dean at least once a week. Went down to Exeter to ride a couple of tracks over the weekend too. And I work up the road from Cwmcarn and live up the road from Wentwood. Love a good downhill track! Luckily one of my best mates is into it too, even more than I am. Currently riding my brother's (!) boardman front sus, top bike! All the best components and a nice light frame (my preference). Longer forks would be nice but I can't really complain as it isn't mine! My mate's got a Banshee X, full sus and with many upgraded components. He's always buying parts (and giving me his old parts :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other bike I ride is an old XC2 with all the Banshee's old(er) parts:

[​IMG]

17. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Took my mate to a local jump spot today, he'd been before and is much better at DJ than I am (I suck at it).

I had a little accident. Cased a gap jump, not even a very big one, ended up going over the handlebars and rolling down the landing.
    Grazed my elbow a bit but that was all. Wish I'd put my body armour on as I would have been alright then, :D.
    Started to get a bit better after practicing on some smaller ones and getting the rebound setup right on my forks.

Although I think my rear shock may be past it, as everytime I took off a jump (I think, it might have been on landings), it sounded like a duck.

18. Jipa

[​IMG]

There's my ride as-is. The somewhat ruined boxxer seems to work OK, but the rebound is just going to kill someone.

Still, for barely any money, can't complain.

19. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

I ride trials! Got an Onza T Pro, with a mixture of new and old parts... Only been riding for a few months and thoroughly enjoying it!! :p

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r