1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I didn't know that either, I don't really watch the olympics so I only knew of track racing.

Don't suppose anyone knows where to pick up a road (700c) inner tube on a Sunday?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Halfrauds? Dunno if they'll have a decent one, but they might have something to tide you over. :)

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Nearest one is miles away, I'd usually ride there but I don't want to shatter my pelvis and rim in one go.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

any local bike shop that sells road bikes should have one

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Yes I am able to read :) Bike shops will be open on Sundays... being a prime weekend activity for keen cyclists and all ;)

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Just making sure. :p
    Local bike shops in my area aren't open Sunday unfortunately, and probably not Monday either.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

:| :| :|

9. Krikkit

Looks like you might have to scab a lift/get the bus down to Halfraud's then! :p

10. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i saw a bit of the women's race, but CBC was switching between baseball or something stupid and biking, so i didn't keep watching. i thought it looked like a fairly easy course. i remember seeing the mountain biking in athens and thinking it looked like an incredibly fun course, this didn't look anywhere near as good. i have been watching the BMX though. that's a really cool spectator sport, i'm sure it will be back next time.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2008
  11. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking about getting a new bike for exercise and light commuting. I was told a hybrid bike would be a good choice... and to stay away from Halfords lol.

Looking through Evans Cycles sale range, what do you experts think of these two: First Second ?

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

A hybrid would indeed be the correct choice, but I can't help you. The different groupsets used on different kinds of bikes (road, mtb, whatever) are distinct so I could only help if you wanted a road bike.

I've heard good things about the Charge Plug but it's twice the price of what you've posted.

13. gar

gar Minimodder

If you really need to get to halfrauds, and have tube, but no repair kit. Cut out the punctured section with scissors and tie a naught in each end. Should work ok. I've ridden many a time on a flat wheel and as long is it's the rear you'll probably not even damaged you rim. I'd not even be afriad to ride home on my carbon rim and it's in perfect nic.

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It was on the front, I rode on it for a while, luckily the rim seems alright. I don't need the tube that badly, I can wait until Tuesday.

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Minimodder

Been commuting to work now for 4 weeks :) and its good but now we are getting into dark mornings and dark nights, well when i ride in and home it is anyway.

Whats the laws on flashing LED lights, i have a Front solid light and a rear flashing light, would it be advisable to get a front flashing light as well or just stick with what i've got.

[edit] My lights aren't specal cheap Cateye lights, think my front was about £20 and the back flasher was £12.99.

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've got a solid on the front (remember to angle it down, as if it was on dipped beam.) and a solid red one on the back, but it kinda flashes at the same time. As in there are 8 leds, four are on all the time, four flash. They were really cheap. About £20 for the pair. Just get some rechargeable batteries whatever you do :p

I have to admit though. There are roads that I simply wont ride on in the dark and end up resorting to the pavement. I'm not risking my life to some dick in a car not paying attention. Also, street lights tend to drown out bike lights and make them a bit useless if you ask me.

17. Krikkit

Maybe, but if you have flashing ones it tends to make people wake up a bit more - I certainly pay more attention to flashy lights. :)

18. M_D_K

M_D_K Minimodder

I had a knight rider one couple years back was about 5inch long with 12+ LEDs in got it from halfords only a cheapy but cycled left and right was cool :p might make you pay attention lol

19. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Flashing lights are legal, especially if the only ones you have are flashing.
    I go with solid front + back and I have a bright flashing LED on my helmet. I use to have one flashing on my bag.

Never had any problems with being hit at night.

20. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

New grips for my bike :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]