1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

@Bagman - sad story mate, unlucky! I assume that the bike you saw was the same model and not your stolen bike? Then I would have been kicking that fat bast off!

I had a similar experience with an old Trek - cheap lock and took it somewhere I wouldn't usually = nicked. Funny thing was, I saw the guy riding off on it and thought; ''ha! he has the same bike as me!'' - seconds later I realised it WAS the same bike as mine.. :duh: :(

Glad you got the insurance cash, time for something shiny and new.. :)

@ Gaming_Freak_10 - I know you got them off now but I had similar problem about 50 pages back in here. I got them off with brute force and twisting, no other fancy way - although a knife probably would have been easier!

YEHBABY likes this.
  2. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Yeah, I'll be getting new grips to replace the worn out ones.. but I don't want to use the slide ons.. the ones that I took off was a huge pain in the arse!!!

I already pm'd him about that and he said he doesn't know of anyone who uses paypal and such.. so he said to try this thread and see if anyone knows of an reputable seller that uses paypal..

That is what I used.. brute force and twisting... with an knife (butter knife, mind you) to basically separate the grip from the handlebar while I pull and twist.. then when there's enough grip OFF the handlebar and the rest of it still on the bar.. I just pull it off.. easy.. lol

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just run a knife down the grip to split it, if you're not reusing there's no need to play nice!

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Had a turn round Epping forest with some friends on Saturday. Lovely single track!

Might be time for some new rims though - feels like these wheels are heavy...

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I didn't go riding at the weekend and it's really made me sad :( I am going to try and get to the downhill track tonight and do some riding, as it's light until about 9.30pm here.

6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

No it was my stolen bike. I could tell from saddle, handle bar grips and the fact the pump holder wasn't holding a pump.

I have reported it being stolen. But I know police don't give a ****. They are too busy catching people going 10mph over the limit. I have already had one bike stolen before, was all coaught on cctv but a hoody and a cap is enough to get past any cctv. What is the point in cctv if you can get past it with stuff in your wardrobe. Its absolutely pointless, just means that if normal people do anything they do get caught for something really pathetic.

7. Margo Baggins

I think i would see red if I saw someone ride past on either of my mountain bikes. Like you, I have a commuting bike too which is the only bike I ever lock anywhere, having read your plight that cements in my mind that that is going to carry on being a rule!

Really sorry to hear about your bike getting robbed :( I'm glad insurance have paid up for you.

But yeah - if I saw my bike go past, I think an involuntary jump in front of it would happen!

8. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Out of interest, why didn't you a) drive over the **** or b) kick his face in? I know it's easier said than done depending on the **** involved but at least follow 'em and report address to the police!

And funnily enough, I work for the number 1 company in the Surveillance world for managing IP cameras so I know plenty about CCTV. As you said, if the camera isn't placed cleverly and isn't running at a correct quality then the picture is about as much use as a smudge on a peice of paper. However, if you see some of top-end covert cams, placed at chest height in the right places with 1080p resolution, you will get them.. :)

9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

What if the rider was someone who unknowingly bought stolen goods. He doesn't really deserve being driven over or having his face kicked in. But I am partial to following them and giving the details to the police whether or not they do anything about it.

10. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

First ride tonight for a long while, nothing fancy about a hour riding covered about 10 miles part woods / part road.

Initial impressions of the X0 2x10 is good (especially as I wasn't expecting to get along with the shifters). Backside kills tho lol, can tell I haven't rode in a while. Think I'll have a few weeks to get back into the swing then a dropper post might be in order.

11. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I'm looking forward to finishing uni and moving back to mid-Wales so I can start cycling on a regular basis. I'm just hoping my off-road Kona is still ok though. I put it in one of the sheds back home on the farm, but my dad isn't always the most patient of people and has a tendency to break things. Haven't checked on it in a couple of years!

Anyone have any information on how much it would cost to get a rear disc brake mount welded in place to a mid-nineties Kona frame and a good quality re-paint? I'd either look at getting it done on my aluminium AA, or get a steel one to do it to. If I can generate the finds, a circa 96 titanium Hei-Hei or even a later King Kahuna would be my ultimate frame. Looking at around £800-£1000 for one though.

12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Can't help you with the disc mount, but I recently had my frame powder coated locally for £50 which I thought was reasonable and the finish is perfect.

Sent whilst mobile

13. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Stolen bikes often seem to get sold on asap for next to nothing for a drug fix (from speaking to the local office in charge of all that), it may well have gone through a few hands before it got to that guy, it's a tough one to call. As mentioned the only thing you could do is follow them and give the address to the police.

I always recommend the hairspray trick to customers, it get's a little more delicate in delivery when it's a single bald man, most of them have a chuckle :D

Get the disc mount on the steel one, much more suitable material in many ways. Probably cost £40-100, depending on who does it and if it needs posting, paint will realy push up the price usnless it's powdercoat. You could always repaint the area that gets dammaged (by welding\brazing) with rattle can paint if you want it more original.

www.framebuilding.com/custom_uk_bicycle_framebuilders.htm

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Hairspray trick? Am I missing something?

15. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

On the non-lockon type of grips which just slide on over the bar, fit them using hairspray as a lube to ease them on then when the hairspray dried it glues the grips in place... I never use hairspray to remove grips tho, I find WD40 or IPA works fine for removals

Last edited: 7 May 2013
  16. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Yer that^

The long straw nozzly bits help on the removal, thin screwdrive slid under, lift up, slide nozzle in and pull and twist the grip whilst spraying (with whatever spray lube you have).

17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

At the shop we've taken an old GT85 nozzle which you can put the straw in and used it on the hairspray tin, the only reason I use it to remove the grip is that it saves the need to clean the bar of live before fitting the grip saving me a few minutes when I have a shop full of customers.

I think I'm going to do something silly today, pictures will be posted ASAP.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Silly id good, I like silly.

I have a question regarding leg armour. Its not to prevent serious injury more to stop gorse bush which shreds my legs an absolute treat. What would you guys suggest as a leg or shin armour? I tried my compression tights but it goes through so I need something a bit tougher.

19. Margo Baggins

I have 661 rampage knee/shin pads, they are really nice, I like them, save my shins from my pedals too.

20. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I've also had 661 soft shell gear in the past and it's evcelent stuff.

They were expensive but lasted me around 6 years of skating, snowboarding, biking etc.

I would recommend them to anyone that likes a low profile knee pad, so I assume the shin guards can't be that bad.